What is wrong with very rare Battle Beacons?

Hello there 🧜‍♂️

Can someone explain, if that's a bug or feature?

With very rare Battle Beacons you are able to play Ingress in singleplayer mode. 💹

Deploying 4 Mods by yourself.

Getting a level 8 Portal, without any other agents.

You can even disable some features from Niantic (in the case, no Fracker after 13 scan uploads).

(I had to censor some parts due to my own privacy.)

I know now, why it is called INVESTigation.

Because you need money for playing in single player mode.

cheers 👋

Comments

• SproqSproq ✭✭

For a level 8 Portal you need ~30 hours of time (when you place a VR BB every 4 hours and 15 minutes).

Depending on your faction you need 7 ADA/JARVIS and you need 7 VR BB in total.

7 VR BB would cost you (if you buy the 200k CMU pack for 110€) ~2,70€ per battle beacon.

You could also subscribe to Ingress CORE for getting 1 VR BB and 2,5k CMU per month (5,49€).

5 Months CORE would cost 27,45€ and you get 5 VR BB + 12.500 CMU (the last 2 VR BB could be purchased for 10k CMU).

• ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm trying to figure out what your point is. You don't NEED to do any of that to play solo and frankly, all that work for a single L8 portal is wild and if anyone wants to go to that effort and cost for a single L8 portal, I would only laugh. I'd hardly call it an advantage.

Can it be done, sure, are people doing that? I suppose here and there, but seems like a ton of effort....

• SproqSproq ✭✭

@ZeroHecksGiven look at big fields.

You could set up anchor portals with 4 VRLA and level the portal to level 8 alone?

You could also just level it to level 7 and set it up with 4 VRLA (a lot cheaper and it does not need that much time).

Think of portals wich are not reachable for other agents, like work portals?

Portals inside army areas etc.

• SproqSproq ✭✭

People have payed more money for ingress.

Maybe not in the pockets of niantic.

But for traveling and accommodation.

What if there are no other agents around you?

It's cheaper to pay 28€ to Niantic than to let people drive a long way?

• KarM3LKarM3L ✭✭✭✭

How did you get 4 mods,

And didn't they specially edit the beacon during testing to avoid portal upgrades?

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sproq I've seen two people flipcard a portal up to 8. We should get rid of flipcards too, right?

• SproqSproq ✭✭

@KarM3L how to get 4 mods is shown in my Video, check minute 5:35 and watch ~60 seconds.

I don't know, what tests NIA did. But as you can see, it is still possible (but it's expensive//time consuming).

@Hosette using ADA/JARVIS for getting a portal to level 8 requires atleast more than one agent and that exists since a very long time.

But with the method shown/described above, a single agent is able to deploy 4 mods and upgrade a portal to level 8 all by himself.

In my opinion, that should not be possible.

• SproqSproq ✭✭

@Hosette

You can't really compare cars and some "non reachable areas", since the majority got the possibility for public transport or using a car. (atleast in europe i think)

Niantic "should" be able to fix that just by changing one single thing.

If an ENL agent has deployed the VR BB, then that agent will get control of every resonator/mod wich was previous owned by "ADA".

If a RES agent has deployed the VR BB, then that agent will get control of every resonator/mod wich was previous owned by "JARVIS".

At the first flip it is already that case, but not when a virus is used during the VR BB fight.

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

Temporary immunity to the faction who deployed it is done initially on VRBB.

• SproqSproq ✭✭

@MoogModular have you checked my video?

If you look at the start, where I deployed the vr BB and then -> 3 and 6 minutes later.

You can clearly see, that i could use a virus.

• ArtilectZedArtilectZed ✭✭✭✭✭

To answer your initial question, "What is wrong with very rare Battle Beacons?" Nothing at all.

• SproqSproq ✭✭

But they should not be able to let people deploy a level 8 portal with 4 mods "alone"?

@ArtilectZed

edited March 2022

You've repeated that argument multiple times in this thread, and I still said what I said. I think you can answer that question on your own.

If people are going to spend the time, gear and money to solo build a level 8 portal like that, that anyone can come by and farm gear from for themselves, or destroy it in a few moments, I see absolutely zero problem with it.

• 1valdis1valdis ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022

I agree with the author and I was sure this whole time that this is patched out and it's impossible to put 4 mods or upgrade portal alone. Specifically, I remember @ofer2 said this wouldn't be possible. Did something change? Or this is the edge case where the protection doesn't work?

I personally want to see this fixed so that it is indeed impossible to have a P8 or 4 mods without another agent. Ingress is built as a team game. And this bug/feature ruins another aspect of necessity to team up and communicate.

• LynoocsLynoocs ✭✭✭

I'd go for that one. Not removing completely, but leave the portal neutral instead of flipping it. Then maybe reduce the cooldown to something around 10m? Just enought to not be abused in anomalies.

• but leave the portal neutral instead of flipping it. 

You're just suggesting an instant-**** card.

• 1valdis1valdis ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022

I'd kindly ask the people here who put disagrees to explain them. We're discussing a fact that it is, as was found out, possible to put 4 mods or upgrade portal alone using a battle beacon. And as any other fact, it doesn't have any emotional side to it. Also we are trying to figure out if this is an intended behavior or a bug. What is here to disagree with?😕

I appreciate @Sproq 's curiousness, it deserves insightfuls, and not disagrees. Unless, of course, he also shares his stance towards this option in that same message (for example, "I don't like it and want to see it patched out"), then yes this is understandable. But posts which simply point out facts about how the game works, how do you disagree with those? You don't want anyone else to know that there is such possibility? Or you don't want Niantic to take a look at this and consider if it's right or wrong? I don't get it...

• DrHydrosaurDrHydrosaur ✭✭✭✭

My understanding is the initial testing showed that the initial VRBB setup would allow an agent to put a L8 resonator on each time the portal flipped back to their faction. So they would get 2 extra L8 resonators per VRBB deploy and no need to use a Jarvis/ADA.

Niantic changed that but obviously didn’t identify this less efficient method.

Personally, I am in the “meh, whatever” camp. That’s a lot of resources to spend just to get an 8 portal, which isn’t all that valuable. I also wouldn’t be at all upset if this was changed. I certainly have zero intention of exploiting this.

edited March 2022

This. I wouldn't mind it being changed, but I would rather laugh at the people who are dumping that time and energy into solo-building a l8 instead of glyphing a l7 portal.