Continued improvements to the review queue

I know this has been discussed in great detail in many places over the past year but I would like to revisit the topic.

Too often reviewers receive the message: "There are no portals available to analyze at this time."

If someone is willing to spend their time reviewing, there should always be reviews made available to them so long as there is a backlog out there somewhere.

How can this be addressed?

A very simple solution would be to pull candidates at random from anywhere in the country (or countries) available to the reviewer. We know that this happens to a certain extent already, but the fact that backlogs still exist demonstrates it is limited in scope.

A more involved solution would be to change the mechanics of bonus locations. Perhaps reviewers could be allowed to change their bonus location every 6, 4, 3, or even 2 months rather than waiting an entire year between changes. Perhaps bonus regions could stack rather than the new replacing the old. Perhaps we could simply have a second bonus location.

There are other ideas out there, if you have an idea I've not mentioned please reply below.