How do they look? With pink ornament ?
Auckland, New Zealand finished their Anomaly
Overall we enjoyed the format. Disappointed in the limited players that could attend, however understandable under current circumstances with covid-19.
Both factions had an absolute blast
And really appreciate the instant feedback knowing what portals to chase, and how much time is remaining at each checkpoint
I was at the Bristol UK part, and had a great time :) It was brillaint to see so many active players in the same place, and meet up with some fellow agents 'in real life'
got the medal too :)
The game mechanic of how the battle portals 'went live' in the game was very good too, it was easy to spot nearby enabled portals so possible to move about to claim and defend.
10/10 my first 'anomaly' badge, would attend again.
I participated yesterday in Lisbon, Portugal. I am a regular participant in anomalies, since 13Magnus Reawakens, 2017.
Did this event felt like an anomaly? Absolutely YES.
Key factors for my argumentation:
- the adrenaline of faction vs faction battle was all there during 3 long hours;
- gathered together with fellow faction agents on the field, for a competitive event;
- despite of what many say, regarding this game mechanics having "less strategy", I agree to some degree with this, but I can say we had a good deal of time on studying the plabox, the ornaments on the day before, and assessing how to best manage our resources. So, it involved a decent degree of strategy.
Looking into the future:
- I honestly believe that this game format can continue to be replicated more often both in time and geographically speaking. It apparently needs less preparation effort from NIA side, which is good, imho.
- Maybe it will be possible to combine this kind of events embedded in anomalies series, and then finishing in mega anomaly when they can happen again (like the ones in the end of Osiris series, or the one planned for Munich, 2020). This would enable more agents to achieve anomaly medals by participating on the ground (hopefully R.I.P. recharge rooms)
- While I fully understand that Niantic had to enable in this series the individual participation by BB usage from agents, this creates an unhealthy shadow of potential pay to win. I'd advise against it.
You're getting a lot of disagrees, but I will say, there was VERY low interest or talk about this is the two RES chats I'm in in the Seattle area. Granted, Seattle wasn't hosting this phase, but still, just didn't seem to attracted people. Which, has my frustrations growing with the game on a local level as well the game itself. Poked around about hosting a small event so everyone could get the medal done and out of the way and mostly silence with, lets wait and see if Niantic picks Seattle down the road. I was able to get the medal, but had to do some remote charging randomness, watching intel map and then doing a few on my own. Where is this crazy community I hear all these stories about? :( :(
I think Niantic really downplayed the NIA battle beacons. The battle beacons acted in clusters and that's from looking at the remote view
After the BB cluster ended, a new set of clusters began on different portals.
"Community" doesn't pop up or start to care simply because Niantic dropped an event.
My two cents…
For normal day-to-day play, you rarely want to run into a member of the opposite faction. Either they will be actively defending a portal you want to capture, or they will be actively attacking a portal that you'd like to hold on to. Both scenarios are tactically undesirable. Niantic selecting anomaly sites nominally encourages the two factions to come together and battle it out: be there, or cede victory to the other faction. Without that encouragement, it comes down to how willing the local faction is to meet up for the sake of meeting up, which is a reflection of how the local faction has been puttering along (or not) all this time.
There are also other factors that might be at play:
Yes, the people disagree with the facts, and we had far less people turnout than what I had expected, ~20 instead of the 30 I predicted. We needed ~50.
And it was a combination of everything, not very well marketed, not enough time to organize travel, and a lack of interest.
Hopefully Seattle will be part of the second phase.
But just letting you know that it will be very difficult to get enough players to turn up, Resistance and Enlightened.
Today, February 7, I got email about the January 22-24 event. Well done, Niantic.
INVESTIGATE THE KUREZE EFFECT - PHASE 1 RULES, MEDAL, AND LOCATIONS
Saturday, 22 January 2022 1100 UTC - Monday, 24 January 2022 1100 UTC
This email about Phase 1 came in a bit late Niantic.
I just checked, I got it twice. Once 14th of January, once today.
It perfectly reflects their communication quality though.
It seems the email was intentional?
The bribe compensation has been accepted 😉