Update on Game Latency, Missing Wayspots, and the Roadmap

Comments

• ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely had some struggles tonight… Not sure if it’s just me, but full bars on 5G, 13 pro max and I’m dropping five or six bursters before they start poppin

• justmeisterjustmeister ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022

Still laggy. Walked around for a few minutes. Deploying portal takes a while.. meanwhile, thrown in a few mods. Response half minute later... Deploying some xmp8.. nothing happens, suddenly BOOOOOM every green portal that it could hit is neutralized. I don't like this way of playing a game with such lag

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s crazy. So many issues, so many complaints, so many topic; but 0 action.

still no communication, no updates, yet the latency continues. Even ruined the kureze events imho.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

Brian did reply in the AMA on social that they still havent found the cause of this.. Its so odd they cant get to the root of the problem.

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022

Yeah. After 1,5 years of latency, still no root cause found. I’d think it is safe to say it’s caused by switching over to cheaper servers, and this is never going to be resolved.

Part of me wishes they’d just put the hack timer back to 5 minutes so I can just stop playing all together.

Pretty bad today. Not sure what's changed in the past few days, but it's become worse than it has in a month or two at least. The last couple of months it would be sporadic and random and now it's just, all the time. Attacking is tough, defending is worse. Can only imagine how the event goes next week as my plan was VRBBs for links and those just seem to struggle.

• Alot of the lags i seen lately is client side not complete communication & just holds up....

• NysyrNysyr ✭✭✭✭

The freezing we've had lately affects every recharger at the same time, so not client side. There's different flavours of lockups: The freeze that everyone gets and suddenly portals gone, and the stuck deploy/link/charge/mod where you still see things come inbound but your actions are stuck in a queue.

• It's nice that people have been complaining for months that the ingress servers are slow, they can't keep up. It feels the most in time during events (FS, 2S, but also kureze), but it still doesn't catch up, even outside of events. The players paid CORE and hoped that the situation would change ...

Well, unfortunately not ... first you invested time and money in the development of CATAN (fail), we saw "Pikmin" and the latest "Peridot" ...

Therefore, my question, which is quite important, is:

Will we see a correction of latency, and other mistakes that people repeatedly write here as well?

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

kythera anomaly this weekend, i hope the servers will not go fully bonkers when u need interact with bbs for badge and points.

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

After 15 months of latency, and the statement that they have no clue as to what the root cause is, I'd say don't get your hopes up.

I myself and plenty other have dropped their CORE sub after 12 months of helping troubleshoot, pleading and begging to get this fixed and all communication stopped once again. Coming weekend there is another 'anomaly' (it really isn't, but hey), and we will yet again experience increased latency and overall buggy game mechanics. Big whoop.

My prediction is, no, nothing will change in regards to the latency. It will eventually, when enough players just stop playing al together.

They might. The might not. Depends if people are already fed up or not. If not, they might go out and play and we might experience issues. I myself won't participate this weekend, no NIA beacons around and I'm not paying anymore to play this game.

I was surprised there wasn't more issues with the last C Sans event. I did 4 VR Battle Beacons with 24 links each, running two at a time and got most of my links out.

That being said, I definitely still experience random issues while deploying, defending, attacking, etc. I'd say once or twice a day I experience some sort of noticeable glitch. I stopped my CORE subscription months ago. At this point, I just have no faith in the network allowing play to happen as it should. Sometimes it works to my advantage, other times it doesn't. My goal right now is to get wings on my sojourner medal and then to reassess how much joy I truly get from this game and maybe switch over to something like PoGo where latency issues don't ruin my time and energy in the blink of an eye because the charge button is greyed out or the alerts tab won't refresh when you get an attack notification...

Anyone else struggling with alerts again? I’ll get my attack notification, flip over to the ingress app and then sit there patiently waiting for my alert tab to refresh. Sometimes I’ll tap around or change distances to try and force some kind of update, but lately, nothing happens. By the time it finally updates, I’m looking at a neutral portal or one already capped out by the attacker. Why can we not have an actual refresh button on our alert page?

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

This has been the case since prime. If you are defending portals in sight, good. If you need the key, find it in your inventory.

comms and certainly the alerts tab are useless. And the pictures don’t match the portals a lot too.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

i havent bothered with alerts ever since redacted died, no point portals usually dead or neutral before u get chance to defend...

• ShottixShottix ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022

November 2021 you posted the last update on game latency, its now April 2022 and not far off may 2022.

I'm personally fed up every day of the lag experienced when playing and doing simple things like trying to deploy one resonator and the game totally crashing for over a minute, how do you expect any of us to play let alone PAY to play this game.

If anyone was to do the simple maths to work out how much revenue you're making from microtransactions you'd think we deserve to have a game that's atleast playable in the most basic form.

Sort it out or this will be the end of this game

• SSSputnikSSSputnik ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022

Yep. Still suffering long pauses in play. Also new, resonator deployment tries to stick another 8 on when i deploy. I usually do 8 7 7 6 6 5, hack, deploy rest.

Now after hack it often tries to stick another 8 on, pauses horribly, second 8 vanishes then rest of resonators go on

Also, the sweeper seems broken. On Tuesday there were keys on ground from last Thursday attacks.

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

this. Have been saying it for 13 months, and I’ve seen the active players in my area diminish. The game is stale, fields stay up indefinitely if recharged. When decay finally happened, I play until it lags out, I barely make any microfields anymore because of it. Such a shame. And a fix is not even imminent, they have not even identified the root cause… smh.

that behavior is normal, I’ve always seen this happen, but it’s a split second. The latency is worse, might be because of that sweeper you mentioned, I also see keys that have been there for a while now.

At this point, I’m guessing the root cause is something like cheaper/different servers, some code they can’t roll back on, etc. So basically, welcome to the new normal and eventually us pesky forum users will “let it go” or move on entirely.

Yup

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve made this exact same assumption. And I’m starting to think we’re right.

At this point, I’m kind of hoping they will change the hack timer back to 5 minutes so I can just stop playing al together.

• I'm glad the Latency problem is being worked on, it has become a real headache.

I would use foul language but this lag is really annoying me.

Just lost a P8 you can't get on top of with double Aegis, was fully charged one press, then delay and next its dead.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Since update 2.92.1 came out, the "lag" has been substantially worse.

Ie the communication layer is getting corrupted more frequently

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought it was because of FS or SS.

but yeah, it’s gotten worse. Meanwhile we’re planning an anomaly, they have no idea what a non event that will be with the current state of the game.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022

lag is still present as of today, deploy lag on resonators usually what bothered me today when i did a 6 piece banner for second sunday tick..

• NysyrNysyr ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022

@ofer2 3 players on different providers/connections all locked up on recharging the same portal at the same time. 6:05:45pm PST.

https://intel.ingress.com/intel?pll=48.564448,-123.439229&z=16

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting. It's definitely possible for the portal the recharge is lagging out to be attacked; so it's not both 'actions'.

I doubt there will ever be a fix though, you do know that this has been going on for more than 16 months right? :D

edited May 2022

What gets me is they apparently tried a fix that didn't work.

Now the problem still exists which means:

1) Niantic devs are incompetent and cannot find the issue after over a year.

Or

2) They know what the issue is but don't want to fix it due to $ and aren't going to tell us.

Or

3) They have ignored the issue/don't care since last try.

None of these are attractive alternatives.