Update on Game Latency, Missing Wayspots, and the Roadmap

Comments

• SSSputnikSSSputnik ✭✭✭✭✭

And, servers been up and down this morning, cannot login. Most games at least have a "Servers will be going down in 10 min for maintenance" msg.

• Yeah I am resistance team blue and I am level 5

• TheKingEngineTheKingEngine ✭✭✭✭✭

Acually we know why, don't we? 😀 The economy of USA is at the early age of recession. IT companies are firing. Developers have to prove that it's important to keep them employed because there is always something calling for them to fix.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

And the worst part when u cant sign in someone on the other team always for some reason can play and u cant even sign in and defend ur portals.. thats unfair even if its just a few minutes or more....

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

There was quite a few people in Yokohama for the Anomaly. That might have had something to do with it

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there any update ?

The lags been worse than ever in the last two weeks. Sometimes when glyphing it hangs so long I think it's lost connection then I miss the glyph coz it pops up like almost 20 seconds later.

Short lagouts globally as well. (Global telegram chats, everyone reports same outage at the same time, normally a 5 min length or so) with people unable to login or hung connections.

• NysyrNysyr ✭✭✭✭

The lag is crusty as **** right now. Locking up and losing portals.

• NysyrNysyr ✭✭✭✭

Alerts are late, links aren't dropping and map takes forever to update

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder when the quantums will be retired if the lag will improve ?

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m not expecting any miracles.

After all those years of enduring the latency, all the latest hopeful updates (lot of jargon, fixes, tentative fix) and it’s gotten worse. :>

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

It has been a number of days now since the Quantum Capsules have been removed from the game.

In addition to the 2.108 app update

Just wondering, what everyone's experience so far with lag?

I can't be certain, but Ingress does feel more responsive

• I was experiencing lag as recently as this morning. Stuck waiting for glyph sequence, stuck recharging etc. I'm doubtful that quantum caps were a cause of the lag we're experiencing.

Same - zero difference since QC went.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

So from this past week, I have come to the conclusion that the Ingress team need to switch back to a high compute server.

Does CORE Subscriptions enable this?

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, does the current cashflow into Ingress with CORE Subscriptions, enable the possibility of high computer servers?

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

Okay i very doubt much that sadly without knowing the numbers.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023

@NianticBrian why is it that days after the Quantum Capsules went, Ingress was snappier, and my stats updated exactly when they were supposed to.

A week after that, Ingress is back to being laggy?

• I was hoping to come here and see it was just me, that now that quantums are gone the lag was only me and not for everyone. Sad days. CORE cancelled. No real events for over a month and nothing for that long at least before now. What is there to keep new players interested?

• Ever thought about incorrect assumptions? You cannot predict/calculate a server load when users do exploit server load limitations. It's too late to add additional server when existing ones are too busy already.

People observed burster stacking by logging in twice - 2 phones or 2 sessions on the same phone. I even assume that some cheater even run 3 or 4 sessions parallel since cargress mass destruction as its finest requires XM, so one device consumes Hypercubes (click bot & go).

I bet this mess is the root cause. Lags did start earlier than new server architecture by the way - that fits into my theory. Also, it got worse with the spread of the exploit. On the other hand it gets better with performance updates - yeah sure, but just to the point where you try to run on the edge again.

If it makes sense or not: @ofer2 please just try that route! Its a great success in any case, even still lagging: cheater may be identified & banned.

Suggestion1: quick, cheap and efficient field test - bring up an ingame banner: 1 login per account or permaban - and then go out, play, and test.

Suggestion2: test the opposite: secretly double or triple the max amount of burster per second. You need more server power then, yes, but there should be no hickups anymore per unexpected server overload.

Suggestion3) pull the data of fired burster per minute and just ban everyone firing more than theoretically feasible with 1 active ingress session.

Ideally... do all of it. Please! If you need some agent names with date&time of highly suspicous actions for a little data mining: I've got one. or just read the tickets in your helpcenter ;)

• (in a sarcastic tone): look there is a reduced workload on the server now that quantum capsules are gone, we can now reduce our server costs.....

• ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭

it's been pretty bad for me the past few days as well. Did they dump the quantum caps and further reduce their server capacity? Look now we can run on even cheaper servers! (I know nothing about the technical aspect of how this all works, I just know it's laggy as heII right now)

Zzzzzz

• NysyrNysyr ✭✭✭✭

Zzzzz

Maybe 5m red portals wasnt a good idea

• Lag was awful this morning... Took forever for available links to appear in the carousel, and once a link sent off, it took ages to make the link and grant AP. Stuck hacking and deploying... Also, it's extra frustrating when you are using a paid item (Apex or battle beacon) which is time-bound, and during that time the game is unresponsive thereby minimising the benefit of using said paid item.