Dev Diary: Powered by Niantic Lightship, coming soon

tl;dr: Ingress is powered by Niantic Lightship, and Adventure Sync and Portal Scan Meshing are coming soon.

We've been working to move Ingress onto the Niantic Lightship platform leading up to Ingress Year 9 on Nov 15. To date, we’ve shipped many Lightship features, including Portal Scanning with feature point visualization, the Niantic Profile, the Niantic Chat Closed Beta with Niantic Friends, and daily syncs of accepted Portals from Niantic Wayfarer. But there’s another Lightship feature that Agents have also asked for, especially after we added the Kinetic Capsule to the Ingress Scanner.

Adventure Sync is coming soon. It connects with Google Fit or Apple HealthKit to record your walking distance even if the Ingress Scanner isn’t open. If you choose to turn it on, then your walking distance will be tallied in the background and applied towards your Trekker medal and Kinetic Capsule Programs. When enabled, it should improve our accuracy of how we record your walking distance.

Please note that Adventure Sync is optional and can be turned on or off at any time. Kinetic Capsule Programs will continue to be limited to a max 40 km traveled per day. And recording walking distance in the background versus requiring Ingress to be in the foreground with your screen on should help improve battery usage.

Additionally, we’re adding Lightship ARDK’s Real-Time Mapping to enable Portal Scan Meshing. Like Adventure Sync, Meshing is also an optional feature, and it allows Agents to better see what has and hasn’t been scanned during a Portal Scan. We’ll start with a shortlist of supported Android and iOS devices, then expand this list over time. Crowdsourcing Portal Scans allows our Lightship Team to build a 3D map of the Portal Network that can be used to make future augmented reality (AR) features in Ingress more realistic. 

By working with our Lightship Team, we’re able to scale our team’s efforts and focus on growing the global Agent community. We've got more planned for Year 9 and beyond, so stay tuned and hack the planet.

— Brian and the Ingress Team

Comments

• InvestigateXMInvestigateXM ✭✭✭✭✭

Woo, awesome! Does that mean that the backend of Ingress is now also off "the old servers" and on Niantic Lightship now?

• This up it's amazing !

• What will I tell you. I'm glad to read this!

Thanks for the communication, we will be attentive.

• Is it actually going to work? I've been totally unable to get AdventureSync to work in Wizards for over a year now - it had been working, one of the game updates broke it, it hasn't worked since, no matter what I've done.

• Me parece genial estas modificaciones al juego, ya es hora de que tengan cosas nuevas no la misma temática todo el año

• PkmnTrainerJPkmnTrainerJ ✭✭✭✭✭

Will there be Notifications when your Kinetic Caspule has completed?

• For what? It's better work on a feature that you don't need to play to create VR gear. lol

• jontebulajontebula ✭✭✭✭✭

Way take long time to fix it? Spend all the time to backend the new severs and get it done very soon.

• Hola a todos!!

¿Cuándo la medalla por abrir cápsulas?

saludos

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Exciting!

The year 9 Ingress event, is surely one to look forward to, with these two new features.

• "It should improve..."

Doesn't sound really confident from your side @NianticBrian 😉

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

@NianticBrian the scanning meshing feature.

Is Niantic going to release a separate app/product for photogrammetry using the ARDK?

The current offerings have really low poly resolution, when all you want to do is say, scan a knob for your washing machine, so that you can 3d print a replacement.

There was talk of this with the buy out of Scaniverse.