OPR misuse, deletion of legit portals

At the moment we are recognising a massive and still ongoing opr misuse in a small village called Eystrup. Over 20 portals now vanished upon unfair behaviour of the opposite faction. Furthermore it is a problem in fielding if the remaining portals encounter constant edits in locations so fields just vanish because the anchor portals are getting moved (if even just a meter). These mentioned portals are not new ones. Its more that these are online since the early days of ingress, none of these deleted ones were younger than 5 years now.

Basically its a very bad way of cheating, not just annoying the local players but deleting farms and anchors (wasting emensive times of key farming) beneath the maybe most important aspect, massively harming the gameplay and the portal network.

Comments

• This is also a possibility to the Problems in Long Valley, SD, USA. We get almost all rejected portal submissions, some of which should be guaranteed (churches and such). Now the only existing portal that has been around from the beginning is gone(or is some sort of weird state of limbo).

• Jac1891Jac1891 ✭✭✭

We have the same problem in Florence. The only solution that seems to work is to propose 5 new ones for each portal that disappears.

They are all legit portals and thanks to OPR they come back (like new portals) very quickly.

• JoDoGo42JoDoGo42 ✭✭

Within smaller communities this unfortunately is not an option since you dont have 100 submissions a week and even if you are then just resubmitting portals the whole day, busting your datalimits and not playing the game anymore ;))

And i bet there would be side effects then, making the whole situation even worse.

I do think that there an official announcement of nia is missing, like a possible temp ban on continous misuse of the freedom of OPR - which is indeed a very nice option to have and shouldnt be spoiled by unfair behaviour.

With more PoGos rushing in now it would be a good idea to set some kind of limits, not risking this unfair behaviour to become a usual one.

• JoDoGo42JoDoGo42 ✭✭

LOL - another three portals just vanished there, what a bad joke..

• JudyBJudyB ✭✭✭

Portal removal is not currently handled by OPR and, quite honestly, I hope that it the decision on removals stays with Niantic

• JoDoGo42JoDoGo42 ✭✭

Nia can not check each instance of the portal removal requests submitted by players via the scanner - but this leaves the space to identify the falsified request of an in this means cheating player.

• have you appealed the portal removals? If you did. did Niantic reinstate any of the portals?

• TheFarixTheFarix ✭✭✭✭✭

If portals are getting removed, it is because someone is making the case that the portal meets one of the takedown criteria and Niantic agrees after assessing the evidence.

• JoDoGo42JoDoGo42 ✭✭

Yes i did many times now and nias answer was to kindly raise this issue in g+ and with the latest answer here - what i actually did. This issue was reported 3 month before the first time when the first portals vanished. None of these portals were reinstalled until now.

• JoDoGo42JoDoGo42 ✭✭

Nicely but misleading formulated, because the evidence is just by number. Which makes it even more unfair if its a very small village and additionally worse because the locals are not involved and can only react when this misuse was a succesful one...

• TheFarixTheFarix ✭✭✭✭✭

If the object that was the portal exists and does not meet any of the takedown criteria, then make an appel with the supporting evidence. However, most times the portal did meet the takedown criteria, usually because of no safe pedestrian access or it was on private residential or school property.

• JoDoGo42JoDoGo42 ✭✭

Basically it is hard to reference correctly an anymore existent portal (so this is a special kind of joke?) and we not are talking about one portal so i really wonder what your point in this answer really might be...

PS: the quote function seems to be buggy ;)

• TheFarixTheFarix ✭✭✭✭✭

What I am saying is that most of those portals are not as valid as you think they are. You would have to be falsifying satellite and street view imagery on a wide scale to affect so many portal. And the simplest explanation is most likely to be true.

• OGMagusOGMagus ✭✭✭

"The only solution that seems to work is to propose 5 new ones for each portal that disappears."

Found the fighter :)

• JoDoGo42JoDoGo42 ✭✭
    edited June 19

Dear Farix, pls stop trolling this important issue which is about opr-misuse and false reports. Your posts have nothing to do with the topic unless worldwide more than the half of the total portal network would have vanished in the last weeks.

And as much as one of my first ideas was to resubmit many times again, i came to the conclusion a little later, this would make the situation way worse in means of a consistent portal network and additionally doesnt help in any way within the obviously well organised cheating and false reporting players.

To make it clear, this thread is meant to improve ingress as well as to preserve a healthy players community, even not only for ingress but within a certain extend for PoGo as well.

• LemoMcLemonFaceLemoMcLemonFace ✭✭✭✭

Are you able to provide a couple of examples of the removed portals? Such as old screenshots of the portal key, location etc?

As others have said, niantic handle the removal of portals, some are not even instigated by players, but could be a home owner / business requesting removal of said portals, and Nia then removing everything with a set distance of the property in question.

• JoDoGo42JoDoGo42 ✭✭

How to reference a non existing portal - this will lead to complete nonsense unless there is no interface from nia to be able to perform that in a serious way and, again - this thread is not about a specific portal to discuss (there are smarter places) but let me assure you that fex a church or monument is not likely to be disliked by a shop owner or can be usually found on private property in germany ;)

• LemoMcLemonFaceLemoMcLemonFace ✭✭✭✭

People seem to manage it, just check the appeals subforums...

• I have seen a dozen portals in my play area disappear en masse lately, and the commonality they have is there is not a sidewalk that goes right up to the portal. That said, at least 6 of them can be accessed by simply walking across a street and standing on the grass. Is this not adequate pedestrian access?? Are some of these rural portals mentioned above are being deleted for not being directly next to a paved concrete path? That would not seem to make sense, as long as the portal can be accessed safely.

• kholman1kholman1 ✭✭✭✭

I think we should ask krug when he does the next AMA after he gets back from vaction. I think something is up. We have had portals going poof and the NIAOPS officials on this community is not following what normally would be considered valid invalid: denying a school take town, denying my own requested takedown of a portal in a roadway median and they rejected my moving of basketball court off of the play field to the edge of court per guidelines.

• Agreed, it would be great to get more information on this from Niantic. But at the end of the day, I think that @TheFarix made the most logical assessment of the situation.....'the simplest explanation is most likely to be true'. Or as Sherlock Holmes said, 'Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.'

• GlenuendoGlenuendo ✭✭✭✭
  • kholman1kholman1 ✭✭✭✭

I can't even trust Niaops when they are denying a school removal after two attempts none the less. I don't get how we are told to vote a certain way and then when correcting errors in the system that slip through the crack we are told denied when we actually give valid reasons for making changes to the network. If someone is submiting portals has it placed wrong via OPR, then does the edit OPR local faction breaks policy on placement appeal and then denied appeal that is a systematic failure.

• Is there a way to appeal for a portal that has been taken down?

• Okay, so that appeal as per standard Portal Appeals has to contain an rejection e-mail, does this one is the exception to that rule?

• A new subforum has appeared for appealing portals that have been removed.

Obviously you won't have a rejection email, but all other requirements stand.