Ingress Scan failing

caiOHawkcaiOHawk ✭✭✭

It's very frustrating you spend time scanning different portals and have the same or different issues scanning quite often. I took some time this last Sunday to go to harbour-front area of Toronto to scan portals for the first time there.

About half of the scans failed, multiple times. It just felt I was wasting my time with this.

I wonder if because the wall colour was changed the scan wasn't able to "recognize" the portal.

I did try different angle and follow the portal image angle but even doing that the result was scan failed.

Here two examples:

1. Scan Failed 1: https://youtu.be/t0np87glmfU
  2. Scan Failed 2: https://youtu.be/J1D3adn44z8

Comments

• InvestigateXMInvestigateXM ✭✭✭✭✭

Something that I'm noticing in both videos that you're not moving yourself very much, but you're rather panning the camera to the sides. In the second video specifically, have you tried walking around the board itself while keeping it within the frame that is shown in the scanner? That should work without problem.

As far as I can tell, the scanner doesn't find enough points (hexagons) for it to consider a valid scan. Only if enough points have been captured can you stop the recording and submit it.

• oscarc1oscarc1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 17

The first one: Flat objects are harder to scan now, so what you need to do is walk around it more and capture more of the environment around it, including those trees, the ground and the wall itself.

The second one: You need to walk around the object to get a 3D scan of it. Just panning the phone around won't be enough.

In both instances 95% of your scan is the same view, Niantic are not getting any additional data from 300 frames of the same thing. Move around more and you'll get success.

• ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭

The instructions you’re ignoring are in yellow while you scan. Keep the object in frame (back up) and slowing walk AROUND the subject.

• caiOHawkcaiOHawk ✭✭✭

i did that too, no change. I only showed the last attempt when I was already tired of trying scanning it.

• caiOHawkcaiOHawk ✭✭✭

This was like my 4th attempt and I did followed the instructions and tried several times do it “properly” whatever it means. The technology is broken.

this is even harder or doesn’t work at all if the portal photo is darker/night.

• Yes little objects, flat areas, high/big buildings, murales.. it's harder to scan without something sourrounding the environment that generate a sort of specific particular polygonal 3D form.

In this photo should be enough having this amount of polygons but it's not sufficient yet.