Update on Portal Nominations, Edits, and Photo Submissions

Comments

• SSSputnikSSSputnik ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm curious what these staff do all day. How long does it take to post an update?

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, they sure as f don't use the forums. Meanwhile I see updates and responses on twitter, but it has happened time and again.

During the last 'false positive' banwave in regards to a new iOS version, Brian was supposed to get back to us. After a week he replied to a tweet but the update in the topic never came, even after countless 'please update us' posts. Shameful ****.

• KarM3LKarM3L ✭✭✭✭

All ingress pois should be deleted and repopulated, HPWU beta revealed numerous POIs hidden from View......

• PkmnTrainerJPkmnTrainerJ ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess that was the ones that were in Lightship (back then Niantic Real World Platform) that got accepted but never showed up.

• ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021

Maybe just a coincidence that this thread is almost a year old: https://community.ingress.com/en/discussion/12215/intel-error-message-your-account-is-currently-suspended-from-ingress/p18

Had my sojourner stopped and never really got a response other than, sorry, we can't fix this for you. Though, I've seen at least one case where they did fix someones sojourner due to a Niantic error.

It's stuff like this that makes people bitter and pessimistic. I had played daily, for nearly a year and then a bug, caused by Niantic messes that up and the company can't even apologize and fix their errors. Now, here we are, a year later and a bunch of people are upset and no one from this company can even jump in here to say something. Give us some sort of explanation about what's going on, why there is a delay in answers or even to just acknowledge that they haven't ghosted us. Because right now, it really seems like this is another sweep under the rug instance and y'all are hoping this event will get people to move on and just accept that this is the new normal. That our efforts to continue building YOUR database may not even benefit US. What a joke...

Post edited by ZeroHecksGiven on
  • @NianticThia Since you are currently active any chance of some news on this.

We are flummoxed by the deafening silence.

• The portal that I was waiting to be added to Ingress just showed up yesterday, so some things are moving.

• PS

More posts in the bug report area and in wayfarer, and in other media.

The bug report thread has not been reclassified as a bug or investigating - is it actually either or both or just an oversight.

Its nearly 2 months now it would be nice to have an update @NianticThia

• ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭

So we just gonna pretend none of these issues are happening or what? Some folks get frustrated and we get ghosted again? Y'all wonder why people are frustrated, it's been a year since Brian posted this message and not much has changed, especially when it's the not so fun stuff...

• We have had a brief update from Tintino on the wayfarer forum.

He acknowledged the issue and the various reports. It is with the team and he hopes to update by the end of the week.

So at least a deadline for an update.

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

Deadline for an update is at least something. Let's see if they actually update us.

Saw a thread yesterday of some pore guy that lost all his items, opened june 9th. He STILL hasn't gotten his stuff back. Start of his topic and Niantic was actually replying, and then it went dead. If you check that thread (title, empty backpack) you'll cry at how bad communication actually is.

• I went out to my local missing portal today and uploaded a photo and did a scan in that other game that doesn't seem to have any issues showing my approved waypoint. Maybe the interaction will make it magically appear in Ingress where I need it. :)

Coming up on two months now since the waypoint was approved.

Yeah bugs now 2-3 months old.

• So, all wayspots that are accepted, if larger than 20m from the existing portal, should be included in the ingress game?

• So, all wayspots that are accepted, if larger than 20m from the existing portal, should be included in the ingress game?

• @NianticThia

Would I be correct that this issue is proving difficult to pin down?

• I am getting my "ingress" nominations going live but they are also now showing "unknown" and dont receive the email, so i guess i dont get the badge +1 nor the AP and definitely not the key.... hope you going to fix that

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

@NianticThia thanks.

But it we still haven't heard anything about the proximity rule.

Or changes to it, as the change to 20m has caused, and still causes a lot grief when wayspots are 10 to 12m apart in some areas, but in other cases, wayspots at 30m are "too close"

• KarM3LKarM3L ✭✭✭✭

There ARE no changes to it....

What hasn't changed? 

• The criteria for Portals being added to the Ingress gameboard has not changed.

The issue probably more to do with previous too close entries still being in the database,

How proximity now effects moves could be interesting...

We need a way to see and correct the entire database... or wayfare will just be filled with new move requests hoping the sync will ''collect" the 'right' portals

edited September 2021

I would argue there was zero confusion with the emails previously.

You got an email saying thanks for submission, all good.

You then got an email saying its gone live, here is a reward, and lo and behold the portal was live in Ingress. -or-

You got a rejection email for whatever reason.

All clear.

Now the problem I think is that criteria are different for other games. So perhaps, rejected from Ingress but OK for Pokemon.

I would suggest this solution:

If the poi is submitted via Game X, and rejected under Game X rules, it does not go live in ANY game.

This would stop the "it appears in Pokemon but not in game I submitted with".

This does not explain the whole situation though, we are seeing failures for portal nominations that appear to comply with the Ingress rules.

The more I think about how the process is now working, the more difficult I think it will be for Niantic to fix without annoying people.

You are basically accepting poi requests from a broad number of games, getting them voted on by the public who can then fiddle with the location, or **** with it based on where they want a poi to get moar stops or s2 cell manipulation or giant robot repair shop or whatever, then filter again based on game rules. Then send mangled remains back to player.

It sounds like a disaster.

Its like buying an apple, paying for it, but the person at the checkout deciding the apples not for you and handing it to the person behind you curently.

Maybe only let wayfarer reviewers edit position on poi AFTER they have been accepted into the system and gone live.

I dunno.

• KarM3LKarM3L ✭✭✭✭

Remove submission from every game...

After all the value is in the Wayfarer database...

If it ends up in your favorite game then great...

All ingress pois should probably be cleared and consistent rules applied, this is probably why prime was annoced with a clean slate policy, but the poi database needs cleaning up first, that's impossible when noone can see all the pois (beta periods excluded)

You would get a mass departure from Ingress if you did that. A lot of portals have sentimental value, all the guardian portals getting reset, portals people have spent serious money on capturing...

You would also need to seed the gameboard with poi for players to be able to play. Who would decide which ones to bring online for that?

And the amount of duplicate rejections, nobody would bother.

• @NianticThia

Thank you for this response.

Personally I appreciate updates even if it is getting nowhere fast.

It makes the new routing and communication issue clear.

However the fundamental problem of the bug remains.

It is now 2 months old! And all we can have is there is a bug filed!

very frustrating.

Have the team identified the issue?

Are they working on a fix?

Why is it so apparently difficult for someone to take ownership of the issue?

Is anyone going to say sorry for this mess and apologise for it…

What we seem to know is that it appears to be linked to Niantic reviewed portals - wayfarer issue?

Whatever exactly it is there seems to be something missing from this approved portal that makes it invisible to the coding in Ingress.

We also now have several examples ( I have an example myself) that an edit or simply a like of the photo in PoGo triggers a refresh of the portal information in Lightship. This must reset the coding. So that once the daily sync happens (could just tell us the time please?) between Lightship and Ingress the portal is now recognised and appears in Ingress.

Right now the inaction and lack of feedback from the team does not make me feel valued.

When this is all finally resolved a full explanation would be appreciated, as it would help restore trust.

• KarM3LKarM3L ✭✭✭✭

There are ways, but it ant happening so explaining things, like repopulating the portals from the wayfare database with consistent rules, isn't worth my time.. your concerns are what stopped Niantic doing it with primes lauch in the first place...