Hacking Log

Is there a reason Niantic hides when somebody hacks a portal? Is it for technical reasons, privacy reasons, or strategic reasons?

I think it would be valuable to see when an account hacks a portal. We have portals that are inaccessible a good part of the year because of weather or other restrictions. Spoofing is a big problem here, and a spoofer can hack a portal, get keys, and then pass those keys to a "legit" player. A type of key laundering, if you will.

If hiding hacking is for strategic reasons, I wonder if a time delay would help? You could click on a portal on the map, and see who has hacked it, but the last 24 hours would be hidden.

Just curious what you all think.

Comments

• kiloecholimakiloecholima ✭✭✭

It would be a security breach for large scale fielding ops. The keys for those are usually farmed well in advance.

• Kilo, that makes sense. I guess even more time blocked out really wouldn't help, because you might be planning months in advance.

I wish there was a way to balance that with an attempt to cut back on the cheating. I'm sure there are many bad actors using spoofing accounts to gather up all the keys they need, and there is no way to spot them.

• gazzas89gazzas89 ✭✭✭

Don't think people would want the other team team know they were leeching off their portals either lol