IOS15

Is iOS15 working for Ingress?

at my work we always start testing new releases of OS and iOS 15 is on the list to be installed soon. (Next week or week after) and want to continue playing ofcoarse :)

Comments

• InvestigateXMInvestigateXM ✭✭✭✭✭

Officially, beta versions of iOS or Android are not supported. It's possible that Ingress will work, but as seen with the Android 10 beta, if it introduces things that changes how the client accessed certain information, it's possible that it'll not start at all, lock you out or even ban you.

• ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭

If I learned anything from iOS 14, don't update. Lost my 305 day sojourner streak during that update and barely got a sorry out of them. Finally closing back in on 300 days and will hold out until I know for sure it's good to go

• 3car3car ✭✭✭

Was expecting smth like this soon

• Beta versions of IOS or Android, As with ABSOLUTELY every other beta versions of any other software, use it are your own risk.

You can't blame niantic if something nasty happens to your account, as you can't blame Apple or Google if you loose important information stored in a device running beta versions of an operating system.

• Just updated my iPad Air 2 to iPad OS 15 and Ingress works well.

So we're clear, when I updated to iOS 14 and was blocked from accessing my account, that was a public/gold release. So yes, I'm 100% placing all the blame on my sojourner streak being stopped because of Niantic and their sloppy releases.

• NysyrNysyr ✭✭✭✭

If there's anything that blocks fingerprinting Niantic was using, you'll probably be flagged.

• 3car3car ✭✭✭

I'm simply going to go iOS15 and play Ingress on my Android until I'm sure it's safe to play on both OSs.

I haven't forgotten the iOS14 intel ban incident.

• If something could fail and put your ingress account in danger, why do people want to even try this?

Avoid and be safe.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

The devs should totally support beta OS's as it will enable early debugging of game issues related to the OS, instead of leaving till the new OS is out then players rage because of bugs with the new OS

• caiOHawkcaiOHawk ✭✭✭

I need to update my device due to work too and use another device is quite annoying since I wouldn’t really test the new iOS with a test device.

Niantic…. Can someone give some confirmation or information on if it will be safe to use Ingress with a gold copy of iOS 15, and possibly beta versions as well? Is that something you can add to the code now…

• edited July 2021

Keep in mind, testing software against a beta OS and announcing official support for a beta OS are two different things. Betas are dynamic and messy-- a feature that's included today might look different or be removed completely in a week. If Google/Apple releases a Developer Preview next week that breaks SafetyNet and starts causing issues, then Niantic will still likely catch flak despite not changing anything on their end.

Niantic likely is testing their apps with new OS versions to have Ingress ready when they are released, but won't say "sure, we're fine with you running our app on unfinished software" because that would be a bad idea. You generally shouldn't have a blanket quality guarantee on compatibility with software that isn't finalized and you don't own.

It’s one thing to not officially support an upcoming OS, it’s another to ban its users for upgrading to an OS that’s been officially released.

I don’t think it would be out of line, especially considering the iOS 14 debacle, to jump in here and say, hey, if you need to be on an iOS 15 beta or public release, that’s fine, you won’t be banned, but you may experience bugs and other issues. Feel free to report them in this thread we created, but also understand the risk of losing sojourner or epoch streaks if the app isn’t working, though in our limited tests, the app does open just fine, etc..

^^^^ This is, in my opinion, is how a company works with its community. They’re communicating the realities of a new OS, the risks of a new OS and just being transparent in general…

• MonkeyPeltMonkeyPelt ✭✭✭✭

I was also caught with my pants down during the iOS 14 release. IIRC the intel ban came a week or two after iOS 14 was publicly released. Niantic handled that mess so poorly I probably won't upgrade my OS for 6 months after public release.

• 3car3car ✭✭✭

’Handled’ is not the word that describes what happened IMO. Which is the reason I’ll play on my Galaxy until I’m sure I can update my android next.

• Any news about this? iOS15 will be released later today.

• I have been playing last week with the release candidate of iOS 15 which is coming out today for everyone.

ingress is working perfectly for me (at least equal to iOS14)

• edited September 2021

Hi everyone -

I just posted a news piece (? thread? post?) related to iOS 15 here: https://community.ingress.com/en/discussion/16751/ios-15-compatibility but just in case...

Ingress 2.80.1 supports iOS 15.

will it be supported in 2.81.1? I’m actually half serious…