Scanning Update Wish List!

ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭

Love it, hate it or just want to finish it, portal scanning is a thing. We still don't know how they'll be used or if they'll even be used in Ingress, but for the few people out there scanning, we could really use some fixes, updates and quality of life improvements. I think I've got 24 hours to edit this, if anyone else has anything they'd like to see added to this list, post it up and I'll add them in.

Would love to get some feedback from someone at Niantic on if any of these fixes or updates are on your radar currently and what rough timeline we might have on some of this. Are we weeks out, months out, no eta?

1) Upload Queue - Would love to know how many scans are in our queue and once the upload starts, how many are remaining. I'm not sure how the system works, but what if we take a call during our upload, do we lose any, is the current upload paused? If they're lost, is there potential to pause after the next successful upload via a button in settings?

2) Intel Map - Adding in the ability to see which portals we've controlled and which portals are volatile has been great. But we really need to see if a portal is controlled, remotely. As agents scout numbers build, we're looking further and further away from home. If there was no limit on portal scans, this wouldn't be as much of an issue, but even then, it's something we should be able to see. I don't think agent name is important. This leads into the next point.

3) Scout Decay - This really needs to be fixed. I'm not sure what this looks like visually, but if a portal needs a single scan to be controlled, that should be clear. Right now, it's anything but clear. We all understand the mechanics, but the information displayed is barely helpful. Once the 30 days have elapsed, I'm not sure if an agent is still technically the controller, but in my opinion, once the entire 30 days has elapsed, the name should drop and appear as neutral.

4) Notifications - I recently started a thread about this, but this really needs to be removed or given an option to choose. As I mentioned before, since portal scanning is more of a side quest that doesn't affect gameplay, there really isn't any reason to be regain scout controller other than to work on a medal or to troll the opposite faction with your agent name. Once I've controlled a portal, I have no real vested interest in what happens past that. If I've scanned a big park of 40-50 portals 300 miles away and 6 months later someone comes along and does that same thing, getting 50 notifications over 30 minutes is just obnoxious.

Tagged:

Comments

• CliffMCliffM ✭✭✭✭✭

Portal history is often wrong or missing, as these two images illustrate. It’s the same on Intel too. According to Intel, I have never visited, captured, or scanned this portal. Not true at all. I have visited it probably 5-6 times, captured it 2-3 times, and scanned (and gotten Controller!) once

And evidence I have scanned all the portals on this island (i am scout controller on the other un-ornamented portal)

• edited June 12

all good suggestions. I hope Niantic can work on them after the COMM issues have been fixed.

• ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree, COMMs has to be #1 priority.

I also just realized there is no way right now to see how many scans you have available. A slight annoyance when trying to plan ahead.

• I always assumed the lack of Scout Controller decay was intentional, even if it's not explicitly admitted. Gyms in Pokemon Go decay rapidly but never fully decay, which gives the impression of activity even for gyms that go untouched for months. I imagine this was a gameplay lesson learned from Ingress: if a controllable game object can fully decay, then it becomes easier to see what regions are likely to be relatively inactive. If that object instead remains the same until another player takes control, then it becomes harder to tell at a glance how much or how little gameplay a given area gets.

Right now, if I arrived at a random town and saw that the Portals were Scout Controlled, then I have no way of knowing if it was scanned earlier in the day, or a week ago, or six months ago. All I know is that someone else came by and took the time to scan it.

(I do think that not decrementing the number of points is a bug, though)

I'd like to see this applied to scans and nominations. The button to scan could say "Scan Portal (400)" to show how many scans are available, and the button for nominations could say "Nominations (14)" when nominations are available. That way, I don't have to check submission emails and repeatedly try to submit a nomination just to see whether I have nominations available.

• ToxoplasmollyToxoplasmolly ✭✭✭✭✭

The lack of scout controller decay is "working as designed".

It remains an open question as to when we'll get to the "iterate" part of "launch then iterate".

I suppose if the number was updated, that might make a difference. A date would definitely work. For me, personally, if I’m in a new area and I see a majority of the portals are controlled, I just pass on scanning entirely. To me, that’s a loss for Niantic. Am I willing to do 1-2 scans to become a controller? Absolutely, am I willing to do 3+ though, more than likely not. And I’m speaking specifically to a large group of portals. Could those 3+ scans be 45 days old and not even matter, maybe, but I’m not willing to gamble my time like that. With the way medals are set up, scout controller ticks are the only thing I care about. If Niantic thinks no decay is working as planned, so be it, but I’m sure I’m not the only one who skips scans because they’re not interested in doing five scans to get a single tick as a scout controller…

edited June 16

Is Niantic only taking feedback from XMAs at this point? 2000 scans not enough experience for my feedback???