Niantic - You need to sort out OPR

I just had an email saying that "This portal should stay in the network" after reporting it on the Monday.

This is the portal in question.

This is the location on Google Maps. https://www.google.com/maps?daddr=51.56656,-2.946176

And here is the photo I took at the time the portal was captured.

Someone point where out where there is a portal there..

I'm sick to **** of reporting portals that do not exist, have incorrect photos, the wrong name, or are in the wrong location, for them to be rejected when yet another postbox comes online.

Someone help me out here.

Comments

• veltsuveltsu ✭✭

My theory is that unless multiple players happened to report that same portal, you'll always get a canned "should remain in portal network" answer. You have to use the Wayfarer forum to appeal the decision in order to get an actual human to take a look, like @InvestigateXM said. My experience is that they'll review and remove the portal within days if the case is as clear as yours above.

(Past performance is no guarantee of future results)

• ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭

The problem is that his/her pictures doesn’t even show the portal in question. It’s behind them. So of course it looks like some random street. Some of the sat views show that the poi is still there, street view in google shows it gone. The picture posted doesn’t help their case at all, in my opinion.

I agree that the best method once you get a canned email is to **** over to the wayfarer forums and address it there, with actual proof.

• KarM3LKarM3L ✭✭✭✭

It would actually be in the picture right hand side, looks like building dog food Co was in been renovated...

• TheKingEngineTheKingEngine ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021

This is because you did not realize how the current process of "reviewing in-app invalid portal reports" is.

When you file an internal in-app invalid portal report, customer support would take a look at that location.

That is, they will pull up the Google Street Views around that position. If there are no street views, DENY.

If the street views they happen to review are not DISTINCTLY showing that the portal does not exist. DENY.

With the increasing amount of reports you would get a comprehensive understanding of "distinct" I mentioned.

Still, you could write posts on the forum to remove it by telling customer support why it does not exist with proof.

I won't say that this process is ideal. This is just how it works. Niantic won't explain it very clearly in case of ab.use.

edited June 2021

Or unless when customer support review the report, there are already ENOUGH street views in all directions from the coordinates of that portal which eliminate any possible blind angle and help customer support to ensure that it's impossible for the portal to exist there or it's obviously violating the rules. But still, customer support does not have enough plenty of time to review every report and thus they might miss some strong evidence and still proceed with "DENY".

edited June 2021

Take a photo sphere and upload it via Google Street View apps as well could save your time significantly. I bet at least 10% of your invalid portal reports could be handled with successful removals without the need of writing posts.

edited June 2021

Misinformation. You are implying that when players file invalid portal requests, actually no real human beings will review it.

And players will 100% receive a DENY. This is totally wrong. There are people reviewing it. Please do not mislead players here.

Wayfarer customer support is doing, though far from perfect but, much better than NIA OPS dealing with spoofing reports.

Most in-app invalid reports are turned down not because nobody was reviewing. It's because of insufficient direct evidence.

However when it comes to spoofing reports..ho ho..I'd have some reservations about "was my report really reviewed???".

• Alfred42Alfred42 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021

Yes, "Nobody from customer support was reviewing in-game invalid portal removal requests" is a joke contrary to the fact. They are not reviewing the requests effectively and smoothly but they are reviewing and a portion of requests can indeed be handled during this process directly.

Correct, latest and feasible suggestions coming from practice and from player who removed 100+ invalid portals manually got no Insightful and Likes. While seemingly professional Key-Opinion-Leaders talking purely from self-concluded theories but actually having zero experience removing invalid portals, asserting in their own ivory Telegram tower that player to be totally unconstructive or even claiming that player to have some mental problems, distributing misinformation and was appreciated by many users. What a pathetic phenomenon.

After all, sneering at Niantic for all aspects are among the main targets of some players that seems pioneering for rights of players but were proven not caring about other players.

Back to the topic. I have solid proof (20+ cases) that can confirm that, sometimes, invalid portals could be removed by Niantic support directly without writing posts on Wayfarer forum. Obviously real human review was made during the process, though not accurately and fluently all the time. I really doubt how many invalid portals have that KOL helped to remove before criticizing about non-facts.

• AzhreiaAzhreia ✭✭✭✭✭

Dear Agent A

Please advise what would be the acceptable level of experience needed to be qualified to make statements on this topic?

Regards,

Curious Agent B

• Note that OPR/Wayfarer isn't the authority for Removals. Players have no involvement in removal decisions.

edited June 2021

Correct. While I think OP is referring to the whole system and process of managing and auditing portals when he/she mentioned "OPR" so that does not affect the understanding of this post much. The OPR is not a proper term but Wayfarer should be applicable.

edited June 2021

Everyone is free to comment according to their own experience and their ideas don't have to be correct and accurate at the very beginning. The important thing is before and after commenting, it's better to listen to others and change his/her own minds if theories presented by others really are more reasonable than his/her own knowledge.

The thing that bothered me is, when me and other players did some appropriate (not defaming players, merely discussing about solid evidence and comm logs with no insulting and emotional words) narration about anti-spoofing cases, somebody will always tell us "you should leave the forum and turn back to the support channel to file reports, and even if your tickets are replied with seemingly automatic canned responses, your tickets still 100% have been manually reviewed by real human of NIA OPS with care and NIA OPs can surely see everything and no impact on the players you report just means those players have no problems i.e. you are wrong", no matter what me and other players said and how we proved that's not correct. You saw what happenend after several posts like this: some players that just refused to listen to us were taking it personal somehow and then things go wild.

While the first comment in this post was just implying criticism Wayfarer customer support of not dispatching real human to review invalid portal requests but just sending automatic deny all the time, which is not the matter of fact at all. Thus I just point it out and if players want proofs I'd be glad to present them. If I'm truly wrong on some conclusions and players are sincerely trying to let me know why with data and cases in practice and their theories are more reasonable I will be glad to listen to them and correct myself. It's nothing personal and it's the earnest communication not trolling or not-listening that helps us improve.

Players don't have to agree and don't have to refrain from "disagree" with my ideas or comments but as long as they are persuasive (by somebody) and think and talk rationally and can listen to others and don't take normal debates personally and try to avoid being double-standard on similar topics or posts and take a positive attitudes towards helping others and helping building a better gaming environment I'd be glad to communicate with them and I suppose others would be glad too.

Cheers,

Agent A with no TR-3B UFOs in the city really

Post edited by TheKingEngine on