The ONE problem I have with Ingress...

SonicgottSonicgott ✭✭✭✭

... is the neck strain.

UGH. You ever just get into a gaming groove, and you literally go for hours, not realizing what you're doing to your neck, and the fact that you've NEVER dropped your arm to relax, not even once?

I've done this now so many times, giving myself a cramp or two because I've been hyperfocused.

*chugs a bottle of Tylenol*

Tagged:

Comments

• PangarbanPangarban ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019

My eyes go buggy sometimes as well. There's a weird effect that happens because the ground is moving rapidly around the edges of the static screen you're staring at. Freaky when you begin to notice it!

• wikkedimpwikkedimp ✭✭✭

My hand cramps from holding the phone so tight. Lol. I was actually holding my phone so tight, I believe I cracked the screen.

Don't ask me to shake your hand. 😂😂

• SonicgottSonicgott ✭✭✭✭

I find that a little bit difficult because I'm a visual player. I don't do very well with tactile response.

• Never enough time.

• ic3maxic3max ✭✭

I often can't motivate myself to go out and play. Mostly a mixture of lack of opposition, lack of goals to achieve, and lack of close milestones

• @ic3max my advice is to make your own goals. Say today I will make a bunch of small fields that together will vaguely resemble my initials, or I will make every field possible within in 15 mins walk of my house. Make a banner mission. Or simple ones like I will do 50 glyph hacks. That sort of thing.

Personally, I suck at self motivation but sometimes those kind of goals help get me out the house.

• LemoMcLemonFaceLemoMcLemonFace ✭✭✭✭

Backpack, one strap. Constant back pain after walking for hours playing..

I'll never learn.

• TheismanTheisman ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019

@Digitalis "you can play by touch in your pocket and not even see the screen for pretty much everything"

Ive done that once, though unlike you it wasnt intentional, thought id locked the screen, phone into pocket, walk down the road pull out my phone and a sudden "Oh Frak" moment as i realised ive written ghehgehsuihei or similar in comms a couple of times, followed by a panic of, i hope i haven't recycled or dropped my caps of VR gear.

Only problem I have with Ingress is its cost me a few charge / headphone cables from stuffing them into my pocket to much and breaking them, or catching them on something and ripping them out of my phone (or ears occasionally)

• TheismanTheisman ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you thought of taking a break from it ? I fet similar once i got to level 10 or so and ended up just not playing for about a year, just logging in a handful of times, then after just came back to it rejuvenated ready to smash out the grind for badges etc

• silverkalisilverkali ✭✭✭

I ended up buying one of those rings you can stick onto your phone case as- I too- was gripping my phone too tight. It's helped massively.

• jplolojplolo ✭✭✭✭

There is also a really awful elbow bend strain. It hurts! I have to take breaks to handle it. Stretches. Pocket ingress. Whatever. Make it stop!

• starwortstarwort ✭✭✭✭✭

Seriously who invented those things? One-strap backpacks were handed out to Enlightened agents at the Obsidian Vienna anomaly. I took mine out to Darsana Prime Bristol the other month, and boy did I regret it when I got back home...

• I got weird tan lines since playing ingress...

• JorgeLocoJorgeLoco ✭✭✭

I don't know about hours, but I've definitely had extended walk around in the same path in a relatively empty park to throw. I think I had this habit earlier, but I've revised how I generally play since. It's slightly less intensive (and effective in game), but better for said back/neck issues.

I don't think there is a real solution at this point other than suck it up and take some more aleve.

• What if there was a way to perform some game actions without needing your phone in your hand? Would that be useful - yes/no? If so, what would you want to be able to do "phoneless"?

• I can live with neck ache, arm, elbow, Wrist, hand & finger ache however the amount of footwear I go through and my poor sore feet are my battle :). To be fair before the game I wasn't doing anything active. However since playing I've certainly put some mileage through my feet (Which sometimes they don't thank me for). Plus my footwear doesn't last as long as it use to (but then it's getting used a lot more.

• GoonieGuyGoonieGuy ✭✭✭

do neck exercises/stretches. look down, and slowly roll to one shoulder. roll back down. roll to the other shoulder. repeat every 15-30 mins. I try playing with the phone up at eye level sometimes, but it's just unstable and hard to glyph hack.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

When I was in Singapore, after the anomaly I did a lot of walking around. Only later did I notice the area on my arm wasn't burnt was due to where the elbow was bent. Lol

• RyantRyant ✭✭

Go plus like device for just hacking would be nice, tracks distance etc, some basic stuff.

• I live in Northern territory. I have time to play a lot more in the winter. this is how I found out my Phone freezes and stops working at -12 degrees F. my fingers stop working then too, lol

• SonicgottSonicgott ✭✭✭✭

Maybe if there was a way we could implement a "Pokémon Go +" for Ingress: Keep distance tracked when the phone is sleeping, and click a button to tap hack a nearby portal.

• Please do not create "Pokemon Go Plus" device for Ingress. That was horrible idea which turned PokomonGo into PokemonDriveWithYourPhoneOnDashBoard!

PoGOs Adventure Sync in the other hand could work with Ingress quite nicely😊

• LemoMcLemonFaceLemoMcLemonFace ✭✭✭✭

'auto hack' on specific, single, portal provided the agent stays in range..

Could actually put the phone down for 5 minutes and rest then :)

• @NianticScot What if there was a way to perform some game actions without needing your phone in your hand? Would that be useful - yes/no? If so, what would you want to be able to do "phoneless"?

Some game actions? three button device for hack (without glyph), fire (starting at 8 xmp with 20% extra) and recharge (oneself using lawson pc)

All in? Glasses 🤤

• X6996X6996 ✭✭

Bring the android wear support back. Was always nice to hack a portal without taking the phone out of my pocket.

• jplolojplolo ✭✭✭✭

@NianticScot I have been trying to figure out what you mean by this. Do you mean if we could set things up on a timer, or actions that take a while to play out... or do you mean actions that can be completed with an alternate device such as a smart watch, Google glass, etc?

If you mean alternate device, then obviously hacking is the most convenient. Another is trekker. And another recharging. These things don't require too much thought. Neither does blasting of course, but that seems best reserved for being on your device, focused, and dedicated to destruction. Then again, I have blasted people's farms from my pocket so there want much staring involved... only phone in hand.

Omg... What if ingress could respond to voice command? Gimme!!!!

• I inferred voice command as well.

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

Hacking with voice command would be easiest, but then I would need voice feedback