Why can't Niantic stop the spoofing?

13»

Comments

• Part of the problem is the spoof boys main accounts are core members so Niantic needs to be willing to give to the guaranteed income for theoretical

Either way the enabler will keep enabling them and vouching for them we need more smurfs to take a stand and start flipping their anchors before CP, and be willing to deal his vitriolic and juvenile harassment and threats through unsolicited telegram messages

I have extra jarvis people know where I play

• SSSputnikSSSputnik ✭✭✭✭✭

I disagree, machine learning would have a good chance i think.

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

@Myth024 The mechanism that you mentioned for blocking actions for someone who traveled between points A and B too quickly is called speed lock. That's how it was implemented in Redacted, and though I haven't encountered it much I'm pretty sure Prime has the same mechanism built in.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, stopping spoofing is HARD. Some cheaters are sophisticated, and as soon as Niantic identifies a way to block one mechanism the spoofers will find a way around their blocks. Here's the longer thing I wrote back in April: https://community.ingress.com/en/discussion/comment/138877/#Comment_138877

I have some professional experience in fraud detection though anything I did is well out-of-date by now. What I know with absolute certainty that it's not a problem that can be solved... there's no silver bullet, no magic answer that will stop spoofing once and for all. It requires ongoing vigilance and ongoing investment.

• It ruins any competitive aspect of the game. If you're on the same side then there is no contribution you can make that make any difference. I was trying to oynx and continously jarvising and refielding to get mu. Never managed to get #1 slot on resistance. That glory went to a now banned account. I just wanted a screen shot but someone playing from his couch ruined any chance.

Flipped sides. I am fortunately far enough that I can actually play normally but the score is still set by someone from his couch.

I don't know why someone believes he's important enough to ruin any chance of competitive gameplay for over 100 people. We always have a full scoreboard. Calling in a spoofer buddy even if you never cheat yourself is just as bad as cheating yourself. Playing a game means you should be willing to accept the fact that you might lose. There is no game without a chance of winning or losing. Willing to open app but not willing to risk losing is just sad.

• GoblinGranateGoblinGranate ✭✭✭✭✭

Identifying and completely expelling spoofers and their collaborators from communities has a very good impact in the long term.

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

@GoblinGranate My local community has certainly done that, although we haven't had tons of opportunity to do so. That doesn't help for lone-wolf spoofers, though, and I've certainly encountered a number of those. It's not a homogenous problem.

• “We are aware of and looking into reports of the Scanner not loading for Agents using Android devices.”

A pity they can’t find a way to move their connectivity issues to spoof devices.