Get Hacking with Hackstreak - Discussion

Comments

• ToxoplasmollyToxoplasmolly ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't say the features I listed were themselves negatives. The negative is to be found in what's been lacking.

congregating isn't exactly a good look compared to enhancing individual play

Which is exactly why I mentioned, in the comment that I linked to: "Active coordination" is not synonymous with "large groups of agents gathering in one place." Think of how agents spread out for a fielding op. Think of the Tessellation, especially as it evolved in the face of the pandemic.

The pandemic is no excuse for focusing on individual gameplay to the exclusion of all else.

• I would suggest that if you read any of the posts over the last year and a half about anything involving community play, a large segment of the player base does think the Pandemic is a good reason not to do anything that encourages large group play.

Niantic just can't win...

• I didn't say the features I listed were themselves negatives. The negative is to be found in what's been lacking.

Maybe not bringing negative unrelated aspects into a thread about what is actually a very positive feature is a good idea if you want to keep the community focused on positives then?

I agree that having community enhancements would be nice, but there's only so much they can do right now. We've made other threads about rebuilding the community, and this is a great new feature with basically no downsides and likely only small development because it's brought across from PoGo. Events and meetups are the levers that Niantic can pull for building communities. For the most part, communities are something players manage and build though.

• ToxoplasmollyToxoplasmolly ✭✭✭✭✭

I asked one question, which only Niantic can answer authoritatively. If you think it's not a productive topic for this thread, you're welcome to let it fade away, as is the fate of most comments that see no replies.

Is Hackstreak a bad feature? No. But I, personally, am thoroughly underwhelmed by it, in no small part due to the fact that it follows in a long line of features focused on individual gameplay. Everyone else is welcome to feel differently, and many people obviously do.

Niantic can't win only if the criteria is making all people happy all the time. There will always be an unhappy person, and if Niantic hasn't yet made their peace with that, well, I think that's on them.

• ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m okay with this feature and many of the features added in the past six months.

But I think there has been little change in Niantics ability to communicate with its agents. Adding a tab for news isn’t communication. We’re wanting actual back and forth, insight, opinions, updates.

When forum threads with over a hundred comments go by without a single comment from a Nintic employee, that’s an issue.

I’ll save my normal ranting on this issue for the appropriate threads, but I couldn’t not say something regarding that.

• kiloecholimakiloecholima ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, it was a nice 3+ year run of not having to care about hacking streaks after losing sojourner.

• kiloecholimakiloecholima ✭✭✭✭✭

If they do retire it, hopefully they allow active streaks to continue until they end.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

There is no reason for Sojourner to retire.

Both Sojourner and HackStreak should compliment each other.

• AskJarvisAskJarvis ✭✭✭

This stat is a really great way to serve as a proxy for player activity and to show long-term retention of playerbase, even as COVID-19 (and potentially other events) might affect a metric like Sojourner, and shows those who are still interacting in person with POIs.

My gameplay won't change, but I'm really glad that this metric exists, and I'm glad to be able to grind another badge. Any development is heartening.

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Where should I look to see my current streak? On poGO it's on the today feed, but where's it on ingress?

May I suggest it to be on the badge itself?

This I great addition. A new badge is always welcome, event though this seems like "easy sojourner" it is a new challenge. I was already 2x sojourner and done for good on it, but now this one might just get me to surpass my current streak. Also, this just make me hope and think it's close to "tasks" finally coming to ingress too.

And drone badges!

• ArkFangArkFang ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad to see even more improvements coming to ingress. Thank you Niantic and Ingress team for continuing to improve the game for us and introducing new features!

also.... can we have the details for the event starting Friday? Looking forward to how the bonuses we earned in the last event will be ‘beneficial’ in the weeklong event!

• LightseagreenLightseagreen ✭✭✭✭

hacksteak will be a sojouner supporter, so vice versa sojourner will also support hackstreak. it will be a nice reminder and a new spirit.

Except all those features aren't exclusive and not even a pioneer thing from pokemon. They're all well stablished features, that make no harm and are great addition.

• Agreed. Many of these are core "no brainer" features for any game centered around exploring, exercise, and ongoing events.

While I won't be near any Portals for a few days, I'm excited to try it out and see what others think of it.

• You won't see a counter for Epoch on the All Time stats, until you get a point in it. That's how these things usually go, and why most people don't have stats for Intel Ops, OPR Live or Seer.

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

The design of the badge is a bit weird.

Wouldn't it make sense to have the 7th circle connect back to the first one? The badge is for completing cycles. Maybe have the first circle as a filled-in circle to show the difference?

But they're connected. You're just looking it the wrong way. And is not cycles, it's streaks, that once you got the 7th you get the prize and reset.

Thanks, didn't see that one.

• I personally love the asymmetric (or, as some might say, "unsatisfying") part of the badge.

It reminds me that perfection is not the goal of Ingress.

• Hey i started today's hackstreak by drone hacking a portal but it didn't count towards the epoch streak? And later when I hacked a portal normally it did count. Do drone hacks not count for epoch?

But day 7 and 0 are the same. Day 8 is another first (that's how it is on poGO).

• You can have a break between cycles)

Honestly, I'm not sure if point 0 is really needed, picture looks more symmetrical without that extra point. But either way, like the design!

• edited April 2021

I love how everyone's upset about the dots, and I'm just here like... what's with the BORDER????

Also, now that I look at it, the reflective effect is usually reserved for Platinum and Onyx, but is applied to all levels here.

• "Hacking via Dronenet will not count towards the Hackstreak" as stated in the announcement.

• 3car3car ✭✭✭

30 months to get that wings on this badge. Not bad nor good.