[OPINION] New Event Format is a Good Change

ArkFangArkFang ✭✭✭✭✭

So the April event schedule seems to mimic March’s, a global competition (or in this case collective challenge) with no medal, followed by a personal (-esque) challenge with a (possibly) earnable medal later in the month that will also eventually come back later with higher tiers.

Last month was Kinetic Caps, and this month unique hacks. And with UPH extending to drone as well, those currently in lockdown or under restrictions for outdoor activities can at least participate in that form. Whether or not the later challenge will again be individual and/or have a medal is yet to be seen. Regardless, this seems to be a good change.

This way, people can participate in the global challenge if they want (and safely can) as well as a personal challenge. It provides a good balance. And with the confirmation that the earnable medal(s) will come back later with higher tiers means that those currently unable to participate due to Covid can still (hopefully) participate again once the event(s) come back.

So good on you, Niantic and the Ingress team, for finding a format that works for a majority of Agents while still considering those under lockdown and restrictions and those able to freely(ish) move about with lighter or zero restrictions.

Tagged:

Comments

• LightseagreenLightseagreen ✭✭✭✭

So the April event schedule seems to mimic March’s, a global competition (or in this case collective challenge) with no medal, followed by a personal (-esque) challenge with a (possibly) earnable medal later in the month that will also eventually come back later with higher tiers.

yes, I also think so

It seems that after this event, in May we will continue the Optima Kinetic Challenge until the Gold tier

at the same time correcting the medal name to Optima Kinetic Challenge

• And the next medal is likely some sort of building one, whether it's resonators deployed or links/fields made.

• InvestigateXMInvestigateXM ✭✭✭✭✭

I also love that we have regular events again, and honestly, not every event needs a badge. I'm content enough to just go out and work towards some arbitrary goal for some random rewards. It still gets me out and playing.

I'd be surprised if we do the second round of Optima already. I'm expecting it once the global situation has improved significantly and a lot of people have 5G are vaccinated.

• KarM3LKarM3L ✭✭✭✭

'It will return don't know when' still in pandemic' paraphrased from else, I would expect 6 months or more before return of kinetic challenge

• King0fHeartsKing0fHearts ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021

I like the format Niantic is doing however I'm nervous they got to many events going and they are forgetting the ones that still need to be finished. The Kinetic challenge is one and would also like to know if the NL-1331 event is over? Brian made posts once the swag runs out they where going to move into digital swag. Is that still going to happen?

• InvestigateXMInvestigateXM ✭✭✭✭✭

The Kinetic Capsule challenge and NL-1331 Meetups will probably be on hold until it is decided that Covid is no longer a threat, which means that it'll take a while before we'll see them again.

• As long as the badge relevant events remain at 10 days, not 'just a weekend' I'm happy with the formats (even if not the content sometimes).

• The C.D.C. and others are reporting that we're not out of the woods and it may be a few more years before we are. While other parts of the world haven't even begun the fight on Covid-19. So I don't believe it's in anyone's best interest to just hope this will be done any time soon and why Niantic has been holding smaller events lately.

Seems to me a better idea would be to hold events that you can do that doesn't involve a lot of travel or you can do at home.

As for what I was talking about with the NL-1331 it would be an event that you could buy a digital package from your Ingress scanner if you wanted to support Ingress and get the new NL-1331 badge. Really had nothing to do with covid.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Australia, New Zealand, Singapore and parts of China are already mostly covid-19 free.

There should be consideration to have big events, probably not Anomalies, but Hexathon style, in those countries which covid-19 is under control

The pandemic will be around well past 2025, which is a very long time to not have big public events

• I won't get into geo-political arguments, but China should not be on that list. And the US is actually going to be out of it faster than even China, if the vaccination rates stay up (they may not).

But while you're in a place where you might have an event, Ingress is plagued by FOMO and any attempt to have an event will be seen as elitism or "American Imperialism", as well as generally sending a bad message.