Portalscan uploadspeed is limited to roughly 2 mb/s

SirKingIkeSirKingIke ✭✭✭
edited April 2021 in Report a Bug

Device: Pixel 4, Android 11

Summay:

The uploadspeed is limited by the game not the actual speed of the connection.

Description:

When uploading scans (now or through the settings menu) the upload speed is limited roughly at 2 MB per second.

I have tried several different connection (types) and the maximum i could reach in upload speed was around 2 MB.

I have tried using the portal scan feature in Pokemon Go, where it is NOT limited. In Pokemon Go uploading uses the full potential of my connection.

• My LTE connection speeds allow up to 10 MB per second in the upstream.
  • My Broadband Connection Limits to 5MB upstream per second.

UseCase:

It is very annoying if you have 5 GB scanned Portals - but it takes 30 minutes to upload. It severly limits on how much scans i can provide, since my device capacitys are limited, but uploads are way to slow.

Visuals:

Sadly i cannot provide screenshots of the upload speed in both cases, if its really needed im happy to make them.

3 votes

New Report · Last Updated

Comments

• InvestigateXMInvestigateXM ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think this is a bug, but it's rather limited by design. I remember that, in a teardown from FevGames some time ago, a function was found specifically to restrict the upload speed. I'd love if we had uncapped upload speeds like in Pokemon Go though.

• SirKingIkeSirKingIke ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021

I appreciate your reply, it does not really suprise me though. I couldnt think of a situation where it is actually a good thing. What use should have to limit upload speeds (and dont inform the user)? Since it looks flawed by design, i decided to pick a bug report.

As a user this is a bug, but I agree that niantic probably sees it as feature somehow.

But honestly, an option to set the max limit for speeds would be the best solution to this (like any upload manager you can think of). For me its important speeds are uncapped, how they handle it - thats something i leave to them.

Post edited by SirKingIke on
  • EvilSuperHerosEvilSuperHeros ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd bet that the upload capped as the server they are sending to, is limited itself. Or the hardware that is accepting the data is limited, so its capped lower.

• I would assume the same if it would be capped in Pokemon Go too. I assume uploading goes to the same server (niantic), which leads to the conclusion the client (ingress) has a limit.

• TestTest ✭✭
    edited February 2022

This issues still exists on the current Ingress Version. @NianticThia / @NianticVK I'm wondering if that is really intentional. Could you acknowledge the issue or at least state this is working as intented? That would be very much appreciated.

My device is the sony xperia 5 III with now Android 12. I tried using a wlan and cell connection, but both came to the same (slow) result.

I tried uploading through Pokemon Go, there it still uses all bandwitdh available.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022

I think this is because compared to PoGo we have not as powerful servers so this is probably why u dont get more then 2mb/s.... must be frustrating not able upload faster.... no idea if we had for example unlimited speeds if this would affect overall server latency ? last thing we need maybe idk

• InvestigateXMInvestigateXM ✭✭✭✭✭

As of 2.92.1, the upload speed seems to have been uncapped! This bug report can therefore be closed.