Have a 1 in 1500 chance when glyph hacking to bring down an opposing team field you are under.
TL;DR have a 1 in 1500 chance when glyph hacking to bring down an opposing team field you are under. It wouldn’t neutralize the portal, one of the links that constitute the field would randomly be selected and removed thereby destroying the field. This would make the game more enjoyable to more people by reducing the number of permaBAFs.
Niatic wants to have a product that is self sufficient and making money. The best way to make this happen is to make the game as enjoyable as possible for the greatest number of people. One of the biggest complaints about the game on forums that I see is that a few, very dedicated people leave large cities/areas under permanent large fields. Fielding is a huge aspect of the game, as there are only a few people that will dedicate massive amounts of time to this game only a small subset of the population play ingress. It needs to be made more available to everyone. The game needs to be changed to make it possible to retain more people.
If players had the ability to take down a field they are under by glyph hacking portals under an opposing team field, then permaBAFs would happen less often. This would make the game more enjoyable by more people.
Pseudo code (possible way to implement this into ingress, lots of assumptions, but should give the general method)
There are already checks in the code to see how many hacking points you get. 1 point would equal 1 in 1500 chance (not sure what the actual chance should be) to take down the opposing team field that the portal is under.
- Someone glyph hacks a portal controlled by their own faction
- Calculate the number of hacking points one gets from successful hacks
- Check to see if under an opposing team field (need to have this be applied to the smallest field you are under if you are under multiple fields, not sure if this is easy or hard)
- If the field is less than 24 hours old , you can’t take it out (again not sure how long this should be)
- If under opposing team field and it is older than 24 hours apply the 1 in 1500 percent chance to take the field down for each glyph hacking point
- If you succeed then randomly select one of the three links and take it down, thereby destroying the field
- If you don’t succeed then tough, glyph hack again.
Here are the possible counter arguments for this change
- The “few very dedicated people” that are making the permaBAFs are the people that are spending all the money in the game anyways, and we don’t want to make them grumpy because they disproportionately are the most money makers (I don’t have the data to confirm this, but it is worth looking into)
- The “few very dedicated people” will find ways around this, by just making permaBAFs every day. This will invalidate any reason for making this change.
- This will slow down the hacking process as it adds more code checks, it already can take a while for linkable portals to show up when linking, this would just take longer for glyph hacking and it is not worth it.
- It takes the "fun" out of it for those that are highly motivated to making large fields, why spend all that time, money, and effort when your big field will go down in a few days? (not sure if this is a flaw or a feature?)
Any other ideas people have either for or against, please put in the comments. I have not been playing very long, and I am sure there are more aspects of this change that could help.