New glyphs and glyph sequences?

1valdis1valdis ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2021 in General

There's a nearby topic about Toast glyph. But I disagree that such off-topic glyph should be present all the time, even outside of events. What I look forward to, is, simply, new glyphs and sequences of them. It's been a long time; now that we have some...changes...in the plot development of the game, can we get new glyphs sooner?

What are the community thoughts on new glyphs, which would those be?

Comments

• InvestigateXMInvestigateXM ✭✭✭✭✭

During the Aurora Challenge, one of the rewards were new glyphs and sequences, which means that Niantic has some in their back pocket. I'd love to see those someday, maybe as a reward to another challenge :D

Regarding the Toast glyph, as long as they're not dominating the sequences, I wouldn't mind seeing them either. Some also suggested only delivering the April Fools sequences when you draw Toast in the command channel, with no normal sequences.

• Adding glyph sequences is easy.

The real question is, do we need them. There's at least over a hundred different sequences now, and for those who aren't fluent in glyph, they're far more typically memorizing as many of the difference sequences as they can.

At a certain point, the variety doesn't really need to be expanded for the sake of expanding it, if the game logic doesn't actually warrant new sequences. Adding extra glyphs for the sake of extra glyphs just seems like make work.

• MonkeyPeltMonkeyPelt ✭✭✭✭

New glyphs are always welcome, though the more there are, the easier it is for new players to get overwhelmed.

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't mind a "Recursion" glyph that recursed agents could input into the glyph channel for a daily bonus that wasn't available to non recursed agents.

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Even though I'd like to see more recursion's benefits, I don't think this would be a good approach. But a recursion glyph is good, will allow more phrases to the mix.

• starwortstarwort ✭✭✭✭✭

Can we at least put the "resistance gain all victory osiris" sequence to bed? The Osiris anomaly series was nearly two years ago now and this glyph sequence is just annoying and fiddly to draw.

The Resistance still won Osiris though, even after 2 years, so Niantic probably doesn't see a need to retire the sequence.

I'd like to see it gone as well though, because by god I always mess up the Osiris glyph.

• MirthmakerMirthmaker ✭✭✭✭

If it looks like the illuminati eye, we see it maybe one every 500-1000 hacks and even less on 3-4 glyph hack.

It is the illuminati eye, and it is only in one L8 glyph sequence, the one mentioned above.

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

Wouldn't the recursion glyph be "Again"?

DISCOVER NEW JOURNEY BEGIN RECURSION/AGAIN

EASY IDEA RECURSION/AGAIN

CONTEMPLATE POTENTIAL [NEW] DESTINATION RECURSION/AGAIN

ALL RECURSION CHAOS

Though personally if I ever recurse again I'd want an interrobang glyph too. My personal sequences would be:

RECURSION ?!

IDEA NOT STRONG RECURSE ?!

ABANDON MIND IGNORE SOUL RECURSION

IGNORE RECURSION IDEA NOW

It's not that I have anything against recursion... it's just that **** AP isn't my particular flavor of fun.

• starwortstarwort ✭✭✭✭✭

They don't keep winning it, though. Maybe if glyph language had a past tense it would be different...

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

Glyphs are messages from the portals. The sequence was added as part of their victory.

• I'd like to see more gylphs, maybe get the community involved and get them designing new gylphs?

• GorillaSapiensGorillaSapiens ✭✭✭✭✭

if retiring glyphs is on the table, KNOWLEDGE, US, BEGIN, anything else i've forgotten where i've got to thread between the center point and one of the inner rectangle points, is just a bloody pain.

And while we're here, in [redacted], IMPERFECT was actually easier than in Prime. In [Redacted], i could go either over or under the center point on the last long link. In Prime, it seems i have WAY more success when i go under.

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

Seperate "not" and "inside"

• grsmhikergrsmhiker ✭✭✭

Yes! This never made sense to me. I get why "distance" and "outside" are the same glyph and why the glyph for "destination" is its mirror opposite, but I always thought that "inside" should be it's own separate glyph with either "together" being a flipped over not glyph like this: |___ or "not" being an upside down together glyph.

• OthinnMxOOthinnMxO ✭✭✭

You're asking why a Niantic game is basically saying "inside = no"? :P

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Late last year there was going to be an event which would have meant more new glyphs.

I know some in my community that aren't keen.

But there are others like myself that like there to be new glyphs.

It's a mini game that has room for growth, unlike other games where the mini game is drawing a single glyph, or throwing a ball.

• The real question is still "Are new glyphs an improvement on the game not just lore padding".

• GoblinGranateGoblinGranate ✭✭✭✭✭

This could be a community event: the creation of a new glyph.

Niantic releases the word/words to be named in glyps and community should create it. This would help get a number of outsiders into the game as it is a social media event and the price should be some kind of swag instead of a passcode. A little investment from Niantic side that would bring back a bit of the "origins" of the project.

I agree this is not a improvement itself, but it's an oportunity nevertheless.