Upgrade Jarvis / ADA with time-bomb functionality

Hi !

I came up with this idea and since I couldn'd find any previous discussion about it I am creating this one...

Imagine I am completely alone deep in opposing faction territory and I wish to make a link that is blocked by another faction's link. Normally, I must go to one of the portals of the blocking link, neutralize it and then return fast to the portal from which I want to make the link, assuming the best case scenario in which the portal on the other end is ready. However, in highly guarded areas, when I get to the final portal to make the intended link, the blocking link is already in place again ...

So I thought it would be nice to have the possibility to place a timer in a Jarvis (I am ENL) delaying its effect on the enemy portal for about... let's say 20 minutes (can be more or can be less) so that I have time to reach the portal from which I want the link to go out, right before the blocking link goes away. I imagine that such weapon should be hard to get... perhaps by charging a given Jarvis/ADA with some walking distance? Like with the kinetic capsule?

On the other hand, there could also be new defensive mods in the game created specifically to difficult the usage of time-bomb gear. Such as a defensive mod to reduce the delay of the timer and/or to level up the requirements for time-bomb Jarvis/ADA instalation in a specific portal (instead of having to walk 8 km one would have to walk 15 km per example).

I realize NIA must be busy with so many other things right now and I really don't have high expectations for this idea... I am not even sure if it is a good one 😅... but I am curious to read some thoughts about it, do you foresee many problems caused by a feature like this?

Thanks for your attention 🙂

Comments

• Neku69Neku69 ✭✭✭✭

If it would to potentiate the weapons range and neutralize an area, I'd say yes. But not to destroy links, these strategic links have been built with a lot of effort, let's not ruin the hard work of the agents

• gazzas89gazzas89 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

I actually think a timed xmp would have been a good idea rather than a jarvis, but people seem to not like those ideas at all

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd rather have a mod you can put on a portal that has a countdown until the portal self destructs and damages all the opposite faction portals around it in a certain radius.

• GoblinGranateGoblinGranate ✭✭✭✭✭

There was a batch of suggested items some time ago and there was one somewhat similar.

Exotic Discharge Pulse (EDP): Virus-Class item, VR, instantly discharges target portal by 80% and all linked portals by 60%.

• starwortstarwort ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not really in favour of the original suggestion, but this:

could easily be countered by having a COMM message appear at the instant it was deployed (similar to the one you get for frackers and beacons). Of course, any opposition agent who sees the message can then prepare to take defensive actions, but... that's just part of the game.

• MirthmakerMirthmaker ✭✭✭✭

I love my flip. I am just careful about using because getting one takes a while and optimal use in my box is clear.

• edited March 2021

I agree with the message on the comm at the moment the bomb is placed, but it would simple of randomly between 0 minutes and 30 minutes after setting of. But still a message would come at the comm a time bomb has placed at the portal by agent "I_do_not_tell_you_my_name". A flipped portal can not flipped back with in a hour, so flipcard is still powerfull. And other agents should be able to delete the bomb. If they buster the bomb ofcourse that would also give damage to the portal. Or it can be a firebomb, that slowly eats up the portal and links. One resonator, one mod every 10 minutes. And the bomb is shown like firework. Or a big clock in the sky.

• I know the community is in a bit of a lull right now, but how this works in normal time is.... teamwork...

One player flips the portal by direction and the other player links. Implementing this would be yet another suggestion to reduce the need for teamwork, something that Ingress is based on.

• NysyrNysyr ✭✭✭✭

Flipping anchors is already too easy as it is, so nah.

• WooormsWooorms ✭✭✭

Why not just capture a couple of portals under the field you're in, go flip one anchor, then link to those portals just to prevent blocking from opposite faction ? You can throw support links during your way back to the portal you're inteding to use.

• MirthmakerMirthmaker ✭✭✭✭

Two assumptions are being made.

1. That you can grab the offending portal without getting charged. If you make too much noise around offending portal, someone will, if awake, charge you and make you use a lot more material than you wanted to and will be back at their next opportunity to fix what you did.

2. If one cp denial is the strategy, that's one thing. More than that it becomes a battle over portals.

• gazzas89gazzas89 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say if this was to become an option, then there should be a defence against flips too