Suggestion Medal - Photographer

Fortnite290Fortnite290 ✭✭
edited January 2021 in General

I thought of an interesting medal, I don't know if Niantic would like to do it, but it is something I would like to do:

Photographer

"Take successful photos for the portal"

or

"Take successful pictures of portals"

50 or 75 photos = bronze

200 or 250 = silver

750 or 1,000 = gold

2,500 = platinum

10,000 = Onix

I would like this medal for L8 + agents to photograph to show their skills in the photos for the portals, I would come as a start to something interesting, NEW PHOTOS ARE EXCELLENT IMAGES FOR PORTALS.

Tagged:

Comments

• 1valdis1valdis ✭✭✭✭✭

Wanna Portal Scanning Abuse 2.0? When people would photo asphalt and surroundings in hopes of photos getting accepted? No.

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

This. Most people don't even care about the quality or accuracy of the location, as long as there is a new portal to play.

What should have a badge is portal creation. #bringSeerBack

• 1valdis1valdis ✭✭✭✭✭

Even worse. Portal photos at least have Niantic as a filter, while portal submissions are reviewed by players. Players would just "hey, let's accept everything so everyone has onyx seer". No.

• Not anymore...

Photo submits are handled by Wayfarer now aswell

• This sounds like an excellent idea!

• GoblinGranateGoblinGranate ✭✭✭✭✭

This would be a good plan if there was any photo quality check. So, no, there are some retired badges that deserve to be brought back sooner than this new one.

I think the new system is removing the bad pictures. Ne time at wayfarer it asked me to choose the ones that were bad.

You should report that player at the wayfarer forum, throw a few examples and hope that Niantic not just remove that pictures, but permaban this agent and remove ALL "contributions" made by him at once. That should also occur to player who submitted fake nominations, removing not just the fake, but everything.

This is really poor made assumption based on absolutely nothing substantial. If this would be an real possibility people would be already massively abusing it to get the wayfarer badge, but most of agents are still not onyx yet.

Creating new waypoints is the best way to contribute with the game overall (aka free laboring), and is currently awarding nothing to the player. The limitations of 28 proposals by month prevent abuse and slow down fake proposals really well.

Abuse will always happen, but this should not prevent good things to happen.

• 1valdis1valdis ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

So my question is then, what would I submit if everything worthy is already submitted in my region? If your answer is "well, nothing" then for me that would work, but for bad actors it for sure won't. They would submit all sorts of trash (just like they do for Portal Scanning badges) in hopes that at least some of their submissions would get accepted and they'd have their badge; except this would also worsen portal network quality.

I'm totally fine having that 136 Portals Discovered as a simple stat in my profile. And I'd rather have this stat instead of some bronze/silver grade trashy badge ruining my profile and having 5000 onyx requirement which I'm never gonna get.

You're implying every trash is approved. I have plenty of fairly good nominations getting denied because they're ugly or vandalized.

About the 5000 onyx badge, this should definitely get changed, because it is virtually impossible. I don't know if there is someone in the world with this achievement, but the procedure changed, before it was limitless nominations, today is only like 1/day. 5000 would mean over 13 years.

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

Even if low-quality photos did get rejected (and, IIRC, the current review process is to show photos and choose which ones accurately represent the submission... nothing about quality) flooding the review queue with photos would significantly slow down already-slow review times in Wayfarer. People are complaining about 3+ month review times in some areas. Yeah, old school Ingress players laugh at that but just because it was abysmal before doesn't mean it's OK to be bad now.

• 1valdis1valdis ✭✭✭✭✭

You're implying every trash is approved.

Wrong. I said "at least some of their submissions would get accepted". And those submissions would accumulate over time. This would worsen portal network quality and, as Hosette has correctly pointed out earlier, increase length of nomination queues.

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

Except Niantic would need to review and accept these

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

@grendelwulf Photos now go through the Wayfarer system. That system is already months behind on submissions in some areas. It's hard to imagine that adding additional load to that system right now would be a net win.

• ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭

I have one nomination from August 2nd that still hasn’t made it through.... I’m 30 minutes south of Seattle.. 🤦🏼‍♂️

• Jo0LzJo0Lz ✭✭✭✭✭

https://community.ingress.com/en/discussion/7948/photo-stats#latest

I made the suggestion to at least have it added as a statistic in your profile. Having a badge is a nice touch.

This is less prone to abuse like the portal scans, since the pictures are actually reviewed and moderated.

+1 for me! :)