Is anyone else having this problem with scanning portals?

Hello. Is anyone else having this issue when scanning portals? I am on an iPhone 8+ with the current ingress version.

essentially, after I scan the portal and click either “upload now” or “upload later”, instead of configuring things in the background, it gets frozen on the decoding screen... often resulting in app crashes.

I’ve tried restarting the app, scanning other portals, and even deleting and re installing the app, nothing seems to help.

attached photo shows what I’m talking about.

also I apologize if this was posted in the incorrect place, first time posting on the forum

Comments

• CliffMCliffM ✭✭✭✭

All the time - a good 30-35% of the time for me. It's intensely frustrating. I tried scanning portals this morning - 6 portals total. I scanned the first one 3 times before it went through, restarting the app each time. I was able to scan the next 4 portals without issue, but when I went to scan the last one, I gave up, after attempting to scan it 4 times. I scanned it so many times since it was a volatile and I wanted the sweet extra credit. I never got credit for it though, because I gave up. I then gave up scanning for the morning.

I am motivated to do scans now, but I just can't a lot of the time, because of this bug. I would attempt 40-50 each outing, but with this bug I barely get through 10 most outings.

I have over 1500 Scout points, so I am not just blowing smoke - I have been doing this a fair bit. (I am sure there are many who have done more)

• The bug report page may be more appropriate.

I'm going to comment on it here.

I'm also suffering from freezing of portal scan with iPhone8.

The error occurs after about four or five portal scans.

It's been happening since about the end of November.

I have, so far.

I've tried restarting the Ingress app after using the Cache Clean app.

or restarting the app twice.

If I use the cache clean app and restart the Ingress app, or restart the Ingress app twice, I can get the portal scan to work again.

If you restart the Ingress app twice, you can do the portal scan again, though it will freeze after 4 or 5 more portal scans.

The EOS protocol increased the number of scans,

but I'm not making any progress with the portal scan at all.

I think it's because I've upgraded to iOS 14.2 and I don't have good control over the cache.

The Ingress app has been updated twice, but the freezing still hasn't improved.

iPhone8 

iOS14.2

Ingress 2.59.2-2.60.2-2.61.3

@NianticBrian

I hope the development team at Niantic will fix this problem soon.

• Do you guys also have problems with uploading scans later?

• Yes, i have it and also have problems uploading right after scan. Im on 2.61.3 update, Scanner seldom crashes while uploading. Uploading later from Settings page taking very long time, its like nothing is loaded because didnt got any notifications.

• There are numerous bugs with scanning. (on android11)

uploading later often crashed and took a few hours, so I've stopped doing that, except sometimes 'now' queues things to be uploaded later anyway. my home wifi is slow/unreliable, so later is not a good option.

when I'm in a low signal area i would like upload later to work better... it still takes a few minutes of struggling for it to get enough signal to defer the upload. Couldnt it work closer to offline?

It would be nice of photos and nominations also had an upload later. They seem to take extra long when combined with scanning.

I lose enough scans and quota that I always scan twice, assuming some scans will be lost.

The 15 seconds, up from 5, is not great...it makes for a longer window/chance of a failure during scan and upload. scanner failures of one sort or another cause much of the lose. If the scanner stops working and I restart, uploads that were in progress are sometimes lost. I do a lot of scanner restarts.. its like I'm **** my onyx restarter badge.

For example, you scan, and while uploading in low signal, ingress signs out. Its subtle... a little persons head appears in top left of notifcation bar. After that, nothing will work... hacks, viewing new portals as you walk etc. So you need to restart. If you had a nomination or photo upload in progress, its lost. Sometimes the scanner just abruptly exits to the home screen without help.

There are numerous bugs where restarting the scanner is how you fix it. Portal scan uploads that are in progress may be lost. And the scan quota... which is not a big deal, now that we have lots of quota, but you get credit for fewer scans than you use quota for.

A recent issue I'm seeing is a scan starts, you go to stop, and it goes back to scan start.. scan was lost like you didnt start it. Happens several times a day starting around version 2.60

• iOS 14.2 (18B92)

Ingress Prime 2.61.3

scanner keeps reiterating over scanned images (N of 310)

crashes after a couple of iterations

reinstalled, to no avail.

several futile attempts over a couple of weeks. (Upload later)

Hope this helps.

• 対応ソフト未対応の携帯電話なので、

スキャン自体出来ない