I was a RES POC for the Chicago anomaly and Hank was with me all day. AMA

Comments

• chibrichibri ✭✭✭✭

@crystalwizard , as with others, you assume too much about the buses. At least some who spent time on the bus also walked 8+ miles for the anomaly. It's not as though having players in vehicles is unprecedented; we just used it to good effect at a larger scale then before. And with the exception of four individual RES agents, no RES agents spent their entire day on a bus.

FWIW, the first time I heard of a large group of agents spending their entire anomaly day in a large vehicle, it was the ENL's party limo at Via Noir Chicago. I heard their primary task was drinking mass quantities of alcohol, which is a goal I understand and have pursued many times... just not during an anomaly.

• My step counter was at 12.5 miles at the end of the day.

Yes, the 30 minutes or so on the bus was great just to get off my feet. It went by quick. But then you had to get back on those sore feet and keep on trekking.

It was a great strategy for the rules of this specific anomaly. But every anomaly has it's own rules and it's own Calvinball. So would it work again? Who knows.

• chibrichibri ✭✭✭✭

@DisasterRawr , aw, buddy. It's a brave new post-G+ world. Let us start anew.

• chibrichibri ✭✭✭✭

@PhaseolusV , we aim to please! :)

@DLKoikingu , teamwork makes the dream work! :)

• chibrichibri ✭✭✭✭

@JorgeLoco , I do hope people stop weaponizing the Flag feature. I responded to @DisasterPyrite , though it probably didn't qualify as an answer.

• Assuming that artifacts stay as part of anomaly play, do you feel should they be given out for one time per anomaly use?

If so should each side get the same or should there be a choosing of weapons or random distribution?

• chibrichibri ✭✭✭✭

@Sonicgott , Hank was certainly around quite a lot at Niantic HQ before and after the anomaly; it's unfortunate that you didn't get to meet him. He's very enthusiastic!

Indeed, it was a great anomaly. 3.02 points! So crazy. (And, yes, unexpected.)

• chibrichibri ✭✭✭✭

@GibsonGirl71 , well put. I was on a dedicated Zello channel all day, so I didn't hear the cheerleading on the main Zello. I hear it was quite the rallying cry. Things looked very dark before the dawn, didn't they? I'm glad everyone stuck to the plan!

• chibrichibri ✭✭✭✭

@Jayrocky , I was prepared to congratulate ENL for a win. There are many ENL who have congratulated us in public and in private. I think it is healthy to learn from a loss and adjust and move forward; it's what I did after the loss at Helios Chicago (for which I was POC) and the hard lessons learned there guided future successes.

If you Recurse again, I hope you stay RES! Your never-say-die, gung-ho approach is the positivity that Ingress needs! It was a pleasure chatting with you on Sunday morning after the anomaly. Keep doing what you're doing! :)

• chibrichibri ✭✭✭✭

@a21schizoidman , cranberry orange muffins are the BEST

• chibrichibri ✭✭✭✭

@Ishira , I have a very unique view of the use of NPC for gameplay effects during an anomaly, of course. I have lead a charmed Ingress life in many ways, and being Hank's chauffeur on anomaly day was a real cherry on top for my last anomaly. I hope Niantic finds more ways to add twists like this to the game for anomalies because it is something new and something different. That said, it is unfortunate that Hank had to basically be kept hidden during the event for strategic/tactical reasons. I'm not sure how to reconcile those two competing forces. I'm sure Niantic is thinking of something though!

• chibrichibri ✭✭✭✭

@TheRedSeven , this might be off by a minute or two, but 11 days, 4 hours, 19 minutes as of now.

• chibrichibri ✭✭✭✭

@TheRedSeven is it possible to quote the question you're responding to? Kinda hard to follow now that the post is on multiple pages...

... darnit. Yes, I should do that, I guess. I wasn't expecting so many pages.

• chibrichibri ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019

@d0gboy

I just wanted to say kudos on a job well done.

It was clear that your team fought for every point, which is as it should be.

Thank you! We had a great team working on this one! We fought for every point, as did the ENL in Chicago. It was a very challenging day. I'm very happy RES won. I knew it would be close. I was fully prepared for the opposite result.

• chibrichibri ✭✭✭✭

@JudgeBearl

Assuming that artifacts stay as part of anomaly play, do you feel should they be given out for one time per anomaly use?

If so should each side get the same or should there be a choosing of weapons or random distribution?

I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean media artifacts? Or the special devices/abilities? Either way, I think they are both interesting new twists on the anomaly game, so I hope they both stay.

• JayrockyJayrocky ✭✭✭

No threads but yes always. You are a great leader and a good friend. Enjoy retirement if you come back you will be welcomed with open arms.

• I meant the special devices/abilities

• YaKoTuKYaKoTuK ✭✭✭

Modern problems require modern solutions

• It's like people have never met someone through ingress and then just been driven around for hours (or vice versa).

I'm curious how many hats did you end up with / lose?

• chibrichibri ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019

Boy are there some serious technical difficulties with this forum software.

• chibrichibri ✭✭✭✭

I am now only able to post from Chrome mobile. wheeeeeeeeeee

• mcwebtreemcwebtree ✭✭✭

@chibri thanks for the reply. I do want to clarify, as I feel that what you've assumed are my assumptions are actually my reflections from being on the ground and talking to others that were. However this thread less forum is a nightmare on mobile so I'll have to wait until I got a pc to compose my thoughts better.

I've reread the analysis you refer to and it agrees with me that the buses gave you the edge, that's what gave you the 65 points and allowed the come back from being 62 points down. It's not the only thing and didn't give you the win in isolation, but that was never my assertion. I find the comparisons with other sites misleading as there are too many variables to directly compare so freely, e.g. size of Playbox, density of portals, ease of travel.

Anyway all this has served to do is ramble some more and not ask any more specific questions so I'm going to go away now... But thanks for the chance to AYA and I'll return later!

• chibrichibri ✭✭✭✭

@mcwebtree , it seems many ENL who were on the ground in Chicago still have some wildly inaccurate beliefs about what RES actually did in Chicago. (Though, yes, I did make the assumption from your comments that you were not in Chicago for the anomaly; my mistake.) Please do ask your questions. This is a good conversation. :-)