AP for Portal Scanning - incentivize longer scanning, instead of requiring it

CliffMCliffM ✭✭✭✭

Recently, the Scout Controller badge was updated, and along with it the requirements for scanning Portals. I welcome the changes where we get more scans every week, and lowering the requirements for the Scout Controller Onyx Badge. I think the minimum 15 second Portal Scan is ill-advised.

I think the minimum Portal scan should be lowered back to 5 seconds, because some things just don't need 15 seconds. You could incentivize longer scans by putting AP to it. Basically award 100-200 base AP for every scan, but let agents earn more AP for longer scans, up to 500 AP. This would be in keeping with other Ingress actions, especially glyphing - you get more AP for more complexity, and you get more points for "succeeding".

Comments

• I’ve hit 501 unique scans and roughly 750 scans total. I’m not even sure if AP would be enough to get me scanning anymore. Maybe someday when we actually know what they’re used for but even then, will it affect gameplay? Doubtful. Kinda seems like I’m putting in work with no return, especially now that I have the badges/medals. Super hard pass....

• NysyrNysyr ✭✭✭

15 seconds is much to long for stuff you can only scan one side of if it's small. I can only walk so slow lol. 10 seconds as the min would fit okay; still awkward as heck in public though.

• PerringaidenPerringaiden ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool. They've given it to PoGo now so we can just drop it since it's so hard.

• My suggestions were not so we can drop it. It was to IMPROVE what we have. You may not enjoy scanning but I do. Wayfarer access was given to PoGo players as well, doesn’t mean we have to just drop it. 🤦🏻‍♂️

• oscarc1oscarc1 ✭✭✭✭

Even Pokemon Go players don't care about scanning, see this Reddit thread's comments lol

It just shows how out of touch Niantic is when they are so trying to push this function so hard and the communities of both games outcry how bad, pointless and unrewarding scanning is.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭

Myself, legally without further information on how the data is used, is essentially theft of an artists work, or a regional landmark.

Those that followed the nightmare of using photogrammetric models for 3D printing a few years ago will know that the "3Dness" of something, has legal ramifications.

Such that, the only legal things we can scan are information boards and walking track markers, and that's just boring especially when it we do not know how it will be used.

• PerringaidenPerringaiden ✭✭✭✭✭

My point is that your suggestions were largely about how it's painful and there's no incentive. For Niantic there's very little incentive to invest in making it incentivized for Ingress, because PoGo has all the players. Push comes to shove, and PoGo always wins.