Maximum drone jump distance must be fixed, instead of random.

1valdis1valdis ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2020 in General

What's that rule of "you can jump to a portal only if it's loaded"?? It seems random every time. You can have portal not loading at 560 meters, but suddenly popping up at 1.2km if you're nearby or have a key from it.

Make it consistent and define clear rules of drone jump distance.

Comments

• RostwoldRostwold ✭✭✭✭✭

A good way to implement this might be to show a slightly larger area in 'drone move view', and draw the drone's reachable range as a circle on it, in the same way we see our own 40m circle on the normal map.

• ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

The jump distance has been defined and it’s definitely not random. Any cell a 500m radius touches. So you could see some at 500m and some into 600m.

the key jumps add some complexity, but me, personally, I only do key jumps if I’m trying to travel some distance...

• RostwoldRostwold ✭✭✭✭✭

It's also modified if you own a key for the destination portal in ways we don't fully understand, and some unknown conditions make jumps only possible in one direction. Given that we don't know the rules in full, and that Niantic won't even acknowledge their use of the S2 cell system, it's incomprehensible and inexplicable enough to be considered random. A fixed, understandable, reversible limit would be a big improvement.

• 1valdis1valdis ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

This really is a great idea. Sounds like the way it should've been implemented from the beginning.

Post edited by 1valdis on

The conditions are understood. As I already stated, 500m radius and the cells that radius reaches. Just because a cell can be reached one way, doesn’t mean it can be reached the other. I did a 100km drone flight using keys and standard jumps without issue. I don’t disagree that there is some needed clarity, but to say it’s random is largely inaccurate. Also, just because Niantic hasn’t been open about its use of S2 cells doesn’t mean they’re not using them. It’s pretty well documented and proven.

• May I ask (just out of curiosity) where you did your 100km drone flight?

Personally, I enjoyed the fact that Niantic did not tell the exact rules for drone distance, but left it to the community to investigate. Just my personal feeling.

• hiryuhiryu ✭✭✭

I agree with the OP. There's no logic to involving S2 cells in this; it should just be a fixed distance. 60 km into my drone trip, I was able to jump to a portal but not make the reverse jump and so I was stuck. This is just poor design. I shouldn't have to use a third-party tool to plan each jump.

Started South of Seattle and ended North of Seattle. Took some planning and like I mentioned, did require a few key jumps in the early part. The last 50km were all without keys though. It's about the most I can see in Washington state, you could maybe stretch it out another 5km. The iitc drone plugin made it all possible.

• cheatchcheatch ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

500 meters is the safe

I made a Google sheet for looking calculating the jump distance

Basically use the copy button on the portal screen, and paste it to the google sheet

How to create the google sheet is in the Official Drone discussion here (Edit open in new tab / window):