Petition to Niantic to prohibit burster stacking exploit

getengeten ✭✭✭

I know this has been discussed before, but the current situation is really bad. There are a lot of accusations between the factions regarding burster stacking (exploit by turning off mobile data and stacking up bursters and releasing them by turning on mobile data again). There are situations where stacking can happen by accident, and appear as stacking by lag between client and server, which leads to false accusations.

But surely this really must be an easy thing to fix - just implement that actions are aborted when you have no data connection, and that you can't perform any new actions as well? Can you please implement this ASAP to avoid further grief between the factions

@NianticAkshay @NianticAndrew @NianticAustin @NianticBrian @NianticCasey @NianticOfficial @NianticBC

Comments

• in prime there is a limit of 12 xmp actions

but it's easy to bypass, I see L1 account can destroy L8 field-portals

no one thought about it? tg channel @ingress_report - demonstration of what they can do. why is it funny?

• GoblinGranateGoblinGranate ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

Problem with this is that portals placed in low connectivity areas would turn impossible to take down. XMPs stack by deffinition because of the burst delay.

The only thing I can think of is to set a delay between bursts so they don't go all at the same time, but you would require to be very fast reacting to the alarms and you would also require to have the scanner already loaded up (because it takes forever to load up). Yet, it would be a good solution to prevent stacking being a tactic if you are already defending the portal.

Sure, a L1 taking down a L8 portal clearly shows flaws in the system since one counterattack should run their XM bar dry in one hit. Don't know how it works now, but in redacted times if you ran out of XM then any stacked XMP would just not burst.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

You are forgetting about the large number of players who do not have a great cell signal, due to their location, being able to fire a burster every minute isn't very playable. Niantic did address the XMP stacking whilst allowing those with weak cell signals to play, by I think 5 XMPs to be stacked.

Don't quote me on that, I may be wrong

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

Quite literally while I was reading a thread I got an IM from a friend that perfectly illustrates how different people can see this situation very differently. It said:

"I really hate how recharging is stronger in prime because attacking is slower"

• Recharging should not be a powerful defense against xmps. If you want defend a portal use better shields together with recharging.

Personally I think the current balance is adequate.

• cheatchcheatch ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

How about a petition to remove remote recharging while a portal is under attack?

Its unfair that you have to fight over a portal while they are sitting on WiFi latency while you are dealing with 100x worse cell network latency.

Its been super broke since power Hypercubes were introduced 5 years ago

• getengeten ✭✭✭

Doesn't really apply here since we are not talking about normal attacks

• MirthmakerMirthmaker ✭✭✭✭

You want more people ( when we get them back) going to anomalies and clogging already cranky bandwidth? That scenario is being ignored. Can't afford to go to anomaly but are close enough to recharge that's a bone to get people into big picture play.

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mirthmaker I absolutely want more people going to anomalies rather than sitting at home recharging, but that is an entirely different topic of conversation.

• cheatchcheatch ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

I like the like and the dislike cause in order to introduce a new idea, you need to be at the edge of the overton window.

Notice I said 'while the portal is under attack' as in when that portal not being attacked anymore (~5 min), then you can remote recharge again.

I have not farmed or used bursters during an anomaly since EXO5 (the last anoamly where couch rechargers were not given anomaly medals)

The concept of trying to fight over portals with people on wifi networks is lame, its broken.

Even if you somehow take down a portal while someone with their 'family' of accounts is recharging on their wifi, sometimes they turn around and claim that you cheated like OP is doing in this post right here.

Again, I don't participate in it, cause it has led to agents being banned before.

• cheatchcheatch ✭✭✭

Well that's the thing, the portal shields / turrets can be buffed and actually mean something like a tower defense game

Let's say you have a lvl 8 portal with 4 AXA in the middle of the country with 3g cellphone service (this used happen in Ohio when Ingress was more popular)

By making someone go to the location, spend 1000 lvl 8 bursters would be part the strategy

Remote recharging while the portal is under attack makes the game lame and unfair

I also give it credit for the decline of anomalies attendance because after doing a 'recharge room', do you think those people would ever want to go to an anomaly again? They are going to just sit on these forums and make the case why recharging is so 'fun'.

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

@cheatch Recharge rooms have cut into anomaly attendance in two different ways. One is the obvious one, which is that people choose to stay home and recharge rather than fighting on the ground.

The second is that fewer people attend because it's not as much fun to spend money traveling to anomalies to fight against unknown, unseen, unverifiable rechargers sitting at home. I haven't been active boots on the ground for a long time because of it. Instead I tend to travel to anomaly sites for the social aspects and run intel from a hotel inside the playbox. It's fun to score the occasional point for the intel team when there are portals within scanner range while sitting at my computer.

• cheatchcheatch ✭✭✭

That's the other problem with giving out anomaly medals to off site intel.

Not sure how it is with the ENL, but with the American RES, we would get foreign intel that was just there to get a the medal, they did not seem to care at all.

I remember a lot of anomalies where the intel guy had us walk from one end of the anomaly zone to the other, sit at the same spot for hours and nothing was accomplished except he got an anomaly medal for it.

By giving the medal out to intel agents not on location, they steal the intel jobs from the locals that probably know the area a lot better and actually care.

When anomalies come back, they should just make it simple, you hack the registration portal, you get the medal and that's the only way to get it.

It would make the anomaly medal worth more, when you give it away to people who did not make the trip, you steal the value from the medal.

That is what killed anomaly attendance.

That is why I consider most anomaly medals worthless, because they could of just got it from sitting on their couch somewhere.

• cheatchcheatch ✭✭✭

Ha, so you / your friends going to report me now for being off topic?

I hit the like button on your reply because I find your strategy amusing.

• cheatchcheatch ✭✭✭

Sorry not sorry it is necessary to say that because my post about this very topic last year was dogpiled and my topic was locked and my forum account got a warning level 1 which expires in 2061, even though I did not break any forums rules. I decided to stop posting on the forums until the regime change last Dec.

And I could not disagree with you more

NIA has been out of line and should learn that in order to truly neutral party. If you want the anomaly medal, you have to hack the registration portal, it really is that simple

NIA should not be involved at all with determining who's 'intel' or 'remote recharging' or anything, they just need to be in charge of the onsite requirement for the medal. If people still want to do 'intel', they still can, BUT NIA does not owe them a medal.

This is why I liked the Hexathlons, NIA was truly neutral, I was not fighting for portals with people miles away sitting on their couch with 100x better latency. I was not sitting at the same portal for hours having to take orders from 'intel' that had no clue or cared.

There is 86 days until the American election, anomalies / live events will be back someday, to me this is the best time to discuss what was working and what was not working with anomalies

• HosetteHosette ✭✭✭✭✭

@cheatch I don't have an army of friends hitting disagree. I almost never use it myself.

As for anomalies, the quality of intel/dispatch, like everything else in amateur volunteer-run efforts, can be highly variable. I've had excellent dispatchers, some of whom I worked very well with, and I've had mediocre ones. Even the best ones often make mistakes since dispatchers are very rarely from the local area. I remember once telling my favorite dispatcher, "No, we aren't doing that. You just made us climb five flights of stairs to get here, and if I tell people to go back down I'll have a mutiny on my hands." Maps are flat. The world isn't.

A part of me is glad that anomalies are going away because the whole format was fundamentally flawed. My alternate anomaly format was simple: Everyone was required to show up for the group photo and to be on their team's side of the photo. Niantic would count noses, and if there was more than a 10% discrepancy they'd declare the winner and we could all just go explore and make messes until the afterparty.

• thesolothesolo ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe it's not what you're saying, but the way you're saying it. If you conducted yourself in that thread the same way you have here, then I can't say that I'm terribly surprised that you were reported.

• cheatchcheatch ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

Maybe you should stay on topic? Or at least stay consistent?

Let's not forget why NIA removed giving out the anomaly medal for rechargers at EXO5

Its because agents were selling anomaly medals through recharge rooms. Vanguards / POC's were making a nice side business from NIA. Then they influenced a nice #rechargeisfamily outrage mob trending hashtag on G+. NIA bent the knee to the mob, instead of spending time / money on improving for agents actually going to the anomaly, they spent time/ money to make sure agents on a couch got their precious medal.

I want anomalies to come back, eventually Niantic as a company needs to figure out what are the obstacles for having live events again, and Ingress is their sandbox where they start testing it out. Even I don't know exactly challenges are for having live public events for anything right now.