[Feature request] Portal scan encoding deferring

Just as the portal scan upload can be delayed until you're at home with WiFi and power, the video encoding process should take place then as well, and not while we're in the field. This will provide two benefits:

1. Our batteries won't drain as fast, because encoding is a high CPU intensive process
  2. We're able to scan much faster (and thus, more) when agents won't have to wait for the 1.5 minutes it takes each time to complete encoding

Hope this makes it into the scanning process one day.

Comments

• KarM3LKarM3L ✭✭✭

Yes, the encoding process is a time consuming drag....

• 1valdis1valdis ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 24

Not only encoding can be deferred, but it also can go in parallel with uploading.

Let's say you're home and tap the start upload button. It encodes the first scan. Then it starts uploading the first scan and at the same time it encodes the second scan. This could cut processing times for each scan up to 50% depending on the internet speed.

I also wonder if encoding one scan takes only one processor core, or all, or is performed using GPU. If it takes one processor core then multiple portal scan encodings can go in parallel, one for each processor core.

This might be too complex for Niantic to implement though, given there's still no real background upload :/

• PerringaidenPerringaiden ✭✭✭✭✭

Possibly the encoding is done immediately to reduce the huge amount of space that the unencoded frames take up on your phone.

• KarM3LKarM3L ✭✭✭

yeah thats good, but should it be optional....... unless its to satisfy a privacy concern around identification...

• JeroenixJeroenix ✭✭✭

That is almost certainly true.

But if you have the space and choose to allocate it for Ingress scan caches, I'd love to see an option for this. It would speed up the field scanning such a great deal. Overall, I think the scanning process does need some work to get these scans in. In making it more efficient, more pleasing to the eye, get more rewards out of it other than a stupid badge with way too high standards.

But I digress.

• PerringaidenPerringaiden ✭✭✭✭✭

But if you have the space and choose to allocate it for Ingress scan caches,

I think you'd fill up the space far quicker than people would be happy with, then blame Ingress for crashing due to no disk space etc. Options are not good, if they allow people to create their own problems.

• JeroenixJeroenix ✭✭✭
    edited July 29

Very true, but for a developer, making sure their app never exceeds a certain percentage of space should be easy to implement.