Scout Controller Badge tier requirements ridiculously high

Comments

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if you scanned it like 5 times, you would become scout controller once all the other scans had expired.

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe instead of trying to make people fight with scanning, the medal could just be about scanning unique portals one time. The points could only be added if the scan sent got over x frames (or 360°).

Th regular scout medal could have a higher goal and not limited by framesizes.

• I really wish the limit was raised or eliminated. For example, when I go to Disney World, there are many many portals there that would actually be kind of fun to scan. But on my 9 day trip, I'll only be able to make 200 scans, which may or may not even be 200 Scout Controller points depending on whether 1 scan per portal is enough. Sort of disappointing.

• GlenuendoGlenuendo ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020

I can't agree with your paragraph enough. It feels like a chore that you just grind through. I did a push to get to Bronze on the Scout badge and really don't plan to do anything beyond that. There is nothing enjoyable about it.

• jontebulajontebula ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope understand @NianticBrian and remove the limit of portal scanning soon. We never have limit for capture unique portals.

• PangarbanPangarban ✭✭✭✭✭

I played Ingress in Disney a couple years ago and it was great, hacking and capping portals as you move around the park was fun. But do you really want to stop and take the time to scan each one of those portals while at a theme park?

Honestly, I consider the 200 cap a blessing.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the limit is there as sending portal scans requires data and storage and i dont think they have unlimited ?

• liquorlordliquorlord ✭✭
    edited July 2020

I have an annual pass so, at least before COVID, I went pretty frequently. For me, it's more of a leisurely hang out place rather than a destination where I have to rush to get lots of stuff, rides, etc, in. So, hanging out with a beer and scanning stuff (among other gameplay) with music and entertainment around isn't a bad way to spend some afternoons :)

• Pretty much.

No gain but a badge you'll never see, why bother.

• I have to admit that I find the medal requirements a bit high. I live in a town with roughly 200 portals, give or take. I have the fortune of being the only agent in my town currently interested in scanning, so I can get bronze easy enough. However since I don't drive and I'm reliant on the train or my bicycle, I'm limited to what portals I can actually scan at present, so lower requirements would be a benefit for me, and others like me, that can't travel far often to find more portals for the scout controller uniques.

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Not to forget that we said the same thing about Explorer. only a handful of players around the world have got that as Onyx

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

But, you can eventually achieve (if you travel a lot) without intentionally doing it, meanwhile the scouts you must willing do it, just for the sake of the medal and not regular gameplay.

• I had the same. I reported a portal for non-existence. Scanned whatever now exists instead and took photos of the area as proof. When request gets denied I will just appeal and even mention the scan. Maybe they could technically look at the scan and see that it doesnt exist anymore.

• edited July 2020

If Explorer provided an indication on the map to what was visited and what wasn't, this badge would be far more often gained. And there are actually quite a few Onyx Explorers. Far more than you might think by looking in the Plat/Onyx Explorer chats.

If you want ridiculous badge requirements, Onyx Seer was it.

• ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭

I bumped the thread in the feedback forum about unique indicators. It’s really does need to happen, not only for traditional uniques, but now scout controller uniques...

• XavyckXavyck ✭✭
    edited July 2020

I do like the idea of this badge, and I would like for Niantic to keep it. However, I agree the requirement is extreme. Add an additional incentive:

• increase the drop rates of certain very rare items for the scout controller's faction
    • gain a consumable special item (not CM) that is attainable only by claiming scout controller status on a unique portal (increments of 5 or 10 maybe)
    • add a debuff feature if you claim scout controller status on an opposing factions portal

You make a good point with the numbers here. I think it is better to emphasize this rather than someone's opinion of how boring a scan is.

As you say, an agent with no opposition and access to 15k portals would take 3 years. Add an opposing agent, and that one agent can prevent the other from ever claiming controller status by scanning one portal more times in 30 days. We don't play in this kind of scenario, however, so let's consider some other variables that add to the difficulty. Agents in dense portal areas are competing against many other agents, even from their own faction, which I think will create divisiveness within factions. For agents in areas where portals are much less dense, the requirements for the badge are even more difficult. These agents have to travel much farther to find unique portals.

Post edited by Xavyck on
  • I feel like majority of complaints are two types.

Those who have never tried the feature (E.g. how do I know.... I might not get... etc).

I have a couple controllers just to test. When you scan it shows who has control and how many points you have. So it’s pretty obvious if you need to scan 2+ times to take a controller.

The other complaint is always it’s too hard. I feel like I see that with nearly every badge these days. This isn’t Pokemon, you aren’t supposed to level up in a week. I doubt I will get Onyx (avg scan has been well more than 120mb every time... it maybe more with higher res cameras?) but even with unlimited data it’s just time consuming.

• ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭

I was going to stop with the bronze, but I’m also not a fan of the bronze badge colors, so, I’m gonna push for silver and that will be it. I’ll have completely forgotten what most of my uniques are by then anyways, I also don’t need any badges to get to 16, so there really isn’t a single reason to grind for something that has no effect on my gameplay.

• grsmhikergrsmhiker ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020

For now, until we hear anything new, I've stopped just shy of bronze. Over the last two weeks I visited three states and took long walks in several parks trying to get to 100 uniques; reaching 500 is going to require more travel than I can reasonably foresee myself being able to do in the near future. Or I'm just going to have to lower my standards and start submitting junk scans of the unscannable stuff, of which there is a lot. I tried to find a way to scan almost 2x the portals that I ended up submitting scans for.

• Silver for me is going to require travelling as well once I've scanned everything in my town. I've already hit bronze and there's still some portals i need to scan but can't now until Sunday at the earliest when I get a fresh batch of scans.

The other issue is as well if someone already has the scout controller on a portal, I would imagine it would me we would have to do extra scans on that portal to get the scout controller- I could be wrong since I'm the only one in my town that's bothering to scan at the moment.

• PangarbanPangarban ✭✭✭✭✭

You are correct: if someone has scout controller on a portal you have to upload one more scan than they did in order to get controller. Or wait 30 days for their control status to expire.