Scout Controller Badge tier requirements ridiculously high

Comments

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably not even platinum and maybe not even gold too!

• PangarbanPangarban ✭✭✭✭✭

Scan the empty space where the building used to be.

• silverkalisilverkali ✭✭✭

It's an awful lot quicker to rack up the numbers on Pioneer or Explorer because it so so much quicker to hack to capture a portal. If you were in a portal dense uncaptured area you could probably fully deploy on ten portals in the time it takes to do one scan.

• So... they won't change it...

• ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭

The problem is. The scout badge seemed like a good idea until Niantic figured out that a person could potentially scan their couch portal 6,000 times and get an onix badge for their efforts. (and I'm sure there are people who are doing this) This new badge will ensure that agents are scanning many portals, not just a select few near their homes. If you're going to have people do the work for you, you gotta make sure they're scanning more than a select few portals.

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah. I've been playing since 2014 and still have less than 13000 unique portal visits, but my aim is definitely for phoenix badges.

• EthernEthern ✭✭✭

15000 looks very ridiculous to me, even 7500 is still insanely high, considering getting a unique scout controller can take more time than a unique capture.

I think the other big problem with all of this is that we still don’t have a way to track uniques for any of the medals.

also, going through last night to get this medal, I had so many weird errors. I was getting alerts that my portals were being attacked, but I couldn’t tap on the portal icons in alerts, notifications were a weird garble of letters.

I did get the bronze last night. I’ll probably scan here and there, but I’m definitely not going to be “working on it” or anything

• NaruwasherNaruwasher ✭✭✭✭✭

You are right. I just looked it up. Never thought I would actually see an Onyx Seer badge. I am blown away!

https://i.imgur.com/pd9BiWu.png

• DSktrDSktr ✭✭✭✭

Onyx for "Scout controller" should be less than for simple "Scout",not more. Or give us ability to remove that achievement out.

I've scanned 63 portals and gave up(again) because it takes time,it is really boring and takes a lot of storage... and also U need some space without other human beings near POI to record correctly and not violate others privacy. Three of them marked as " controller". And if it was scanned by smb U need to scan that twice(thrice...etc).

• DSktrDSktr ✭✭✭✭

Well actually this is a good idea to make removal requests almost 100% succesful by providing scan of non-existing graffity or building or smth. But i know how nia fights with spoofing and multiaccs so i dont believe that will work.

edited July 2020

As I did my walk through town last night **** (g.rinding) the bronze tier of this new badge, I couldn't help but laugh to myself on the number of portals I've had requested to be moved (some of the art in our city moves or is sold and a few have moved due to areas with higher vandalism) and now, I'm scanning either a completely different piece of art or just a blank spot where one used to reside. I'm curious how this might play out when the portal is re-located correctly and now scans are reset or messed up.

We actually have one piece of art that has two portals and the current portal is off by about 45ft. Efforts to have is moved haven't panned out.

• grsmhikergrsmhiker ✭✭✭

I've also noticed, that portals which are misplaced more than 40m (and for which we may be waiting for edits to process through OPR) are not scannable, because the app thinks we are too far away to contribute.

• AkceptorUAAkceptorUA ✭✭✭✭

The worst thing here is that so high numbers of scans required will make people uploading 5 seconds scans. And this is not very good for the result.

Th next step would be a badge for scan length :)

• 1valdis1valdis ✭✭✭✭✭

With people taking 30-second videos of their feet ;) or videos of portals while sitting on a bench and not even moving...

• cheatchcheatch ✭✭✭

I have not tried this for a while and did it for the bronze Scout badge

I did about 25 scans which were about 30 frames on 1 portal.

You can do this by stopping the scan early

Those 25 scans took me about 10 min to do

When I did the upload from home on cable internet wifi, it took about 20 min to upload (it's annoying because my internet completely shuts down when uploading)

Shortly after, the portal scans stat stop incrementing and I wasn't sure if I triggered some type of spam mechanism

With the Scout and Scout controller tier being this high, this is acceptable?

• AkceptorUAAkceptorUA ✭✭✭✭

Yep, depends on people...

As for me I'm trying to do something helpful but it's almost impossible to have 15,000 of distinct high-quality scans. So probably some of them will be not so good...

• I just wanted to ask somting.

What are you thinking of doing with those who do abusive scans? Who is at home and picks up the portal and submits black scans? It is because if we look at things well, it is a cheat that some are doing, just as they should carry a warning or at least a straike.

Just a question.

• What is a scout Controller and how do you do a portal scan?

Portal scanning is using your phone to take a video of a portal. Generally you walk in a circle around a portal. You can find this in the same place you might go to make a title edit or to add a photo. Give it a try.

Scout Controller is what happens if you make the most portals scans in a 30 day period on any given portal.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

can u scan the same portals each month and next as unique ?

As far as I understand it, no, unique is unique. I'm assuming the 30 day reset is to make all portals somewhat accessible. I know if I saw a portal with 50 scans on it, I wouldn't want to scan it 51 times to get a unique on it. I would rather wait a couple of weeks until it's been reset.

• vctrsigmavctrsigma ✭✭✭

My emphasis was on the number. By the very nature of it being unique, that already aligns with the goals of getting a variety of portals scanned and non-spammable. That is why other unique badges use lower stats than their non-unique counterparts.

It is hard to believe they set the scout numbers expecting people to spam a single portal 6k times and not more in line with a good-faith approach.

Their choice of controller tiers is arguably much more of an increase effort than good-faith "scout" progression. I was already scanning a variety of uniques with minimal duplication because I want to actually be helpful and that would be stupidly boring.