Ingress 2.51.1 Release Notes

Comments

• GrogyanGrogyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Niantic could show us Cupids Span when the upcoming feature of what it brings is ready.

But yeah little incentive, if we don't know what all the Portal Scanning achieves

• DestroyerTJDestroyerTJ ✭✭✭✭✭

@NianticBrian Hi. Where is the medal for 100 scout controllers? Me too use 2.51.1 🤷🤷

• NaruwasherNaruwasher ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020

Update: So yesterday I decided to go out and play around more with portal scanning but this time to achieve the Scout Controller status on a 100 unique portals. All my previous attempts towards portal scanning were focused on busts and/or statues. However, since Scout Controller requires you to go after unique portals, I had to take into account all sorts of portals I could find on my University campus. This also included memorial plaques on walls, memorial plaques for trees, and even paintings. This got me thinking about Niantic's vision/idea behind the portal scanning feature - gathering data for future AR feature implementations. What my impression of scanning memorial plaques/paintings was that this data is almost going to be useless for Niantic given that these objects are 2D-like (they have minimal depth). I still decided to go ahead and do the 100 scans because I am hoping that when @NianticBrian gets to revising the requirements in 2 weeks, he would see the issues with the requirements and give a solid thought on what would be realistic/feasible yet hard (but not impossible) to achieve when he does come up with the new numbers.

PS: I did my bi-weekly 200 scans, got credit for 199 but 1(?), 100 of those were on unique portals.

Post edited by Naruwasher on
  • HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe portal with only 2D data, or that are unable to became a full 3D object will became something diferent and have less features. Maybe not in ingress but on others games, like in Pokémon the Gyms could be decided based on portals with full 3D, because that means that the object is fully accessible, so safe.

• jontebulajontebula ✭✭✭✭✭

@NianticBrian Talk about new AI or AR map for Ingress. 100% portal scanning are for Ingress Prime.

edited July 2020

Then why is the scan Pokestop feature in Pokémon Go too? They're gonna use it in whatever game they want.

• DSktrDSktr ✭✭✭✭

And another bug from this release.Screen "freezes" after few hours of active gameplay, eg image and sound in Ingress are active but touchscreen doesnt respond at all. Restart helps,of course.

And another minor bug,even less annoying then "shadow" portals...from this release,while submitting new Portal the "camera" image firstly showed with green artifact(just when taken,like some camera libs are buggy),but then on view - is okay.

Both faced today on my personal Mi A1 with custom AospExtended rom based on Android 8. Can try to reproduce second one with adb,but the first one is (unfortunately) unpredictable.

• Where is the update for iOS?

I think some mistake have been made by someone. On the day that 2.51 was released, the 2.50 has been added to the play store...

• RostwoldRostwold ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020

Apple uses humans to check apps are safe and meet their developer guidelines. Google are less strict and often use software for this, so apps submitted to both platforms at the same time usually appear about 2 days sooner on Android.

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey Brian, if I scan a portal and start walking while it is encoding, is my Trekker stat still tracked while it is encoding, even if it takes two or three minutes, or am I better off standing where I am until encoding is complete?

• HopeaKotkaHopeaKotka ✭✭✭✭

I would say that Niantic will get very valuable behavior data how Agents will do Portal Scans now that Scout Controller Medal is live:

• New way: Do only one scan for every possible portal regardless of if portal is scannable or not (e.g. sport fields).
    • Old way: Do several scans and cover portal 360 degree or as much as possible.

Benefits:

• Old way: Portals will have a complete 360 degree scans with good 3D data.
    • New way: Lots of portals are scanned and NIA can use that data to verify if some of portals exists or not in the real world anymore.

It's up to NIA how they use this behavior data and which way they prefer.

If they want to have good 3D scan data I would say they need to lower requirement for Scout Controller Medal, 2000 for Onyx is max, even 1000-1500 may be considered.

Personally I will target for Silver Medal on Scout Controller as currently Platinum and Onyx requirements are a way too high. And find Silver Medal better looking than Gold :)

Where are 2.51.1 for android in Sweden?

• DSktrDSktr ✭✭✭✭

And why ARM7 release is [probably] still not in market? ARM8 released few days before and leaked too. Maybe we should have some "open-beta" stage for those who will participate? Without that buggy "staged-rollout". Or maybe the same apk for both ARM7/8 incuding both "lib" folders,please.

• ZeroHecksGivenZeroHecksGiven ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with you! Last night I totally just sped through portals going well past sunset to get my 100. Ya know, since the 150 scans I did prior to the launch of the controller badge wouldn't count. But where as before I was being careful, getting multiple angles and imagining how this might all work and look in the game, now, it was just a number that I wanted to complete as quick as possible and be done with it. I'm certainly not aiming for anything past the silver tier (just because I don't like the bronze/brown color. Hell my pioneer isn't even to 3,000 yet.

Must restart Prime lots of time to see the nomination button. Please resolve the bug soon @NianticBrian

• COMM activity for 5 and 10KM is broken, showing old first and newest last, 20KM and above is working fine.

I have reinstalled the app but that did not make any difference

2.51.1 iOS 13.6

@NianticBrian

@NianticBrian Battery save mode dont work ok. I must go in to settings every time i start Prime. Please fix Battery save mode soon.

• That comm thing I uninstalled it and installed it thrice there were no changes it still like that

• MoogModularMoogModular ✭✭✭✭✭

Re: my first post on here about Seer

I figured out a better way to state my thoughts. The only thing relatable to Portal Scans in our scanner is Portal Nominations:

• You have a limited number of submissions for any 2 week period
    • They involve observing the world and interacting heavily with the portals
    • Interaction requires the use of the camera

@NianticBrian I'm curious if data pertaining to Portal Nominations can be obtained since September 2017? See what the average number of nominations an agent has submitted since that date (given it's more than zero). That should give a feel about agents interacting with the portal network.

I feel like that could be used as a baseline for Portal Scans and tiering the Scout Controller. It fits into exactly the message you're conveying with your most recent tweet:

I will now only scan 5sec and dont care about quality when i need lots of scans for the medals. I think more agents dont care about quality now only fast and easy to the medal.

• folkExfolkEx ✭✭

We players want the "Seer" medal back, not these medals to do the dirty work. One idea may be to reverse the number of scans. For example, the number of scans to get the onyx medal in scout, should be set in the scout controller medal, so both medals are easier.

• ItsutsumeItsutsume ✭✭✭

That and also some archive of previous rules and guidelines.

• DSktrDSktr ✭✭✭✭

And now again laggy with "no retries error" and "portal key missing". You guys seriously want us to pay for that lags?