Ingress 2.51.1 Release Notes

Comments

• jontebulajontebula ✭✭✭✭✭

It is only for new AI map for Ingress Prime not Pokémon GO and Harry Potter. Niantic only plan use it the new AI map only for Ingress Prime.

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020

You wish. They need that kind of data to improve the AR in all games, is even more useful there than in ingress right now.

You was the first one to complain when scanning was release and said it was useless and that would only help Catan so you won't do it. How's the tables turned, huh?

• ChrizkChrizk ✭✭

@NianticBrian

I like to have the medals in ONIX but this is extremely difficult, good luck in this challenge for those who have super powers.

"Less is more"

@NianticBrian Only write about portal scanning are for new AI map in Ingress Prime Niantic work on. I dont read nothing about Pokémon GO and Harry Potter.

• oscarc1oscarc1 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well put and thought out!

I'll add to this with my most recent experience. I went for a 10km walk this morning and managed to scan a total of 21 unique portals (21 scans in total) - before my battery pack and phone both ran out of power. 1 day for bronze if you have good density, but it'll take me a few days to get to bronze, especially as I've spaced out my scans to 15-20 per day just so I don't have to burdened doing 200 in a single session.

Power and time is not limitless unfortunately, neither is performing tasks that yield absolutely no reward (when every other action does).

This is a perfect suggestion. Let the Pokemon Go players do all the scans and reward them with rare Pokemon encounters, the implementation of the scans are going to benefit them instead of Ingress agents anyway, plus the userbase is so much more massive that you'll end up getting all the data you desire. This is called 'knowing your audience', Ingress agents are not the target market for this.

However, of all the dedicated Pokemon Go players I know, none have bothered with scanning. Even from the dedicated group of Pokemon Go Wayfarers (of those that remain), none care about scanning either. Pushing this functionality is just beating a dead horse.

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

Getting to 15,000 unique portal scans would require Ingress Tourism. The problem is traveling to popular spots that have a lot of portals means a lot of those portals will already have Scout Controllers. It could take 2, 3, 4, or even more scans just to gain Controller on a particular portal, but the more scans you need to become controller the less portals you can become scout controller on because you have less available scans. Also having to scan one portal multiple times to become controller starts becoming time consuming. If you're like me and play on the down low while touring or sightseeing with your family, trying to stop and scan multiple portals starts to inconvenience my wife and she starts giving me dirty looks because I'm paying more attention to my game than my family.

On top of this suggestion, removing the cap from the number of scans you can do in two weeks, would help. Also reducing the 30 days to 3 cycles for expiration purposes. Alao Also maybe awarding CMU to agents who are scout controller on a portal, kind of like how pogo trainers earn coins on gyms.

Imagine a super popular tourist portal. How many portal scans do you need to control it before players give up on it

• PangarbanPangarban ✭✭✭✭✭

Removing the cap would be a dreadful idea. Scanning is time consuming. Uploading is even more time consuming as well as data consuming. The cap is the one thing that keeps portal scanning sane: "Sure it's a pain and uses a lot of data, but it's not so bad because you can only do 15 per day".

Also, the cap makes the competition interesting. Currently I'm 5th smurf in the world for Scout Controller. I could go out and make the 50 unique scans to take the top spot, but I'm limited by the number of scans I have remaining. This adds an interesting dimension for those of us who like a good competition.

Even at anomalies there will be so many players competing against each other for scout controller on a portal, you will have to settle for less points because it will take up more scans to be the controller. Who wants to scan a portal 30 times to score one point when they can go out to some secluded area and score 30 points using 30 scans.

There's a ton of newer portals in my area where pogo players have taken photos over privacy fences just to get stops and gyms at private pools and other amenities at apartments and condominiums. How are we supposed to realistically scan those?

What about the hundred+ portals I visited but are impossible to scan because pogo players trespassed in a cemetery overnight and got everything removed?

• DSktrDSktr ✭✭✭✭

I'm afraid that 15k for Onyx is a bad idea because of overall scan quality will fall. For me i've done 60 scans and dropped,it took away almost three hours, 8+ gb of memory (a bit too much in my case,i got only 32 built well 22 are free for user if i delete any apps and media),and taken a lot of time to upload them. Who will record every 30 sec carefully if trying to do maximum scans before will get extremely tired and bored.

How close do you have to be to the Statue of Liberty and the Eiffel Tower to trigger the scan option? How far away do you have to be to get even a piece of a viable scan?

edited July 2020

@NianticBrian honestly I like scout Controller and the idea behind it. I just feel like it tiers so high that most agents will ignore it and those that don't will still have a difficult time.

What it really needs is some kind of real game impact. Like seriously, what if holding Scout Controller on Field Anchor Portals had a multiplier effect on fields for the controlling team? Or a leaderboard that affected cell score?

• ikaros02ikaros02 ✭✭✭✭

I think the scan option becomes available when you can interact with the portal, 40 meters.

• KhatreKhatre ✭✭✭✭✭

You won't be able to scan it entirely.

Just the bottom view 🤣

• DSktrDSktr ✭✭✭✭

Oh and now ghost image of a Portal was chasing me xD i think that was a ghost of my "homeportal", because i put there beacon just before goin' out this night. Restart solved that artifact,but - new minor bug.

If two players are playing together. Player A can do one scan of each portal, then player B do two scans of each portal. Then player one uploads all her scans and gets scout controller credit, then player one uploads all his and takes controller from her .

Hey Brian, can you consider putting the upload scans button on this page instead of in the settings and give it a notification like the drone when there's impending scans, so players are less likely to forget to upload scans

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Or give an AP reward or gear equivalent of one hack on lv8 portal everytime we became the controller.

edited July 2020

The only or best Niantic can do to speed up portal scanning are we get screenshot and video what we can get if we work with portal scanning. Most agents dont like spend time on portal scanning when no agents dont no what we get with the new AI map @NianticBrian talk about. Please relese screenshot and very early video we see the new AI map and how it looks after that i think more agents are interesting about use portal scanning.