Ingress 2.51.1 Release Notes
NianticOfficial Niantic › admin
- Added Scout Controller to Portal details screen, Agent Stat, and Scout Controller medal.
- Updated Intel Map rendering algorithm to load Fields, Links, then Portals to reduce loading times.
- Building upon the Portal Scanning feature, we now show the Scout Controller and number of Scout Points on the Portal details screen. The Scout Controller title can be claimed by successfully uploading more Portal Scans of a Target Portal than any other Agent over the last 30 days. Scout Points are the number of Portal Scans successfully uploaded by the Scout Controller over the last 30 days.
- Note that this metric intentionally does not backfill previously uploaded Portal Scans because Agent codename and number of Portal Scans are now publicly visible on the Portal details screen, and this wasn't the case previously.
- The number of Scout Points on the Portal details screen is updated when a new Portal Scan of the Target Portal is successfully uploaded. Once Scout Controller has been claimed on a Portal, currently this title isn't automatically removed after 30 days. However, another Agent can still claim Scout Controller with a single Portal Scan if there were no Portal Scans uploaded over the last 30 days.
- Additionally, we’ve added an Agent stat for
Scout Controller on Unique Portals, which counts the total number of unique Portals where an Agent has claimed Scout Controller. This is a cumulative count of unique Portals, and does not decrease if Scout Controller is later claimed by another Agent.
- Lastly, there is also a new Scout Controller medal, separate from the Scout medal. The Scout Controller medal tiers are:
- Bronze: Scout Controller on 100 unique Portals
- Silver: 500 unique Portals
- Gold: 1,000 unique Portals
- Platinum: 5,000 unique Portals
- Onyx: 15,000 unique Portals
XM object not availableerror that prevented occasional Drone hacks until exiting then returning to Dronenet.
- Fixed how XM meter displayed pending XM, and other XM meter issues when recharging Portals.
- Fixed issue when attempting to link to a Portal when the first Link was no longer possible. (In previous versions, this required restarting the Ingress app to create a Link to the same Portal.)
- Fixed NL-1331X avatar honking when selecting a Portal in Remote Portal View.
- Removed AM/PM from COMM preview messages on map screen.
- Removed chromatic aberration and vignetting from Remote Portal View to match the map screen.
- Added an animation for each successfully completed Glyph when reviewing the Glyph Hack results screen.
- Some COMM activities appear as blank COMM updates with an up arrow icon.
- COMM activities were previously loading at the top or oldest message, instead of at the bottom or most recent message. If you're still seeing this, you may need to uninstall then reinstall Ingress to clear your app cache.
- A softlock is occurring when recharging from Portal Keys removed from a Key Locker or Capsule, or after recycling a Portal Key. This should be resolved in the next app update.
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give 60fps mode
So it wasn't just my imagination, intel really is faster now. Awesome work!
Scout Controller counts the uploaded scans of the last 30 days, correct? If I were to upload enough scans to claim Scout Controller after those 30 days again, would it count towards the stat and/or the medal?
Also christ, 15000 unique portals is way too much lol
Also also, do you have a sneek peak at the medal design? 😉
I think 15000 unique portals is too excessive, considering that Onyx Scout requires only 6000 scans.
Looks like a great update, lots of fixes, keep up the good work.
Even more so as you can claim multiple Scout points on the same portal, while Scout Controller only seems to be once unique portals. I understand that Niantic wants scans of a lot of different portals, but scanning 15000 unique portals is waaaaay to much.
Let's face it, the new medal is to simply push Ingress agents to do labor. I want to see something real from my scans. I want to play and enjoy the game instead of doing this endless work with no benefit.
Does the scan limit stay at 200?
Who the hell thought of Scout Controller?! 15000 unique portals?! I barely even have that with unique portals visited in the 7 years of playing Ingress. I would do portal scans more if it wasn't a pain to do since it's RAM heavy.
This badge is on the same levels of recruiter where this isn't needed.
I'm confident our scan data will be put to good use in time. I think it's a bit much to expect results from our scans before the scanning infrastructure is even fully implemented. Personally I like having more ways to help improve the portal network; it's satisfying in its own right and it makes ingress/its playerbase more useful to Niantic but I can totally see why other folks don't see it the same.
As far as badge tiers go I like how high the bar is set. I like the idea of top tier badges only being attainable by agents who really dedicate themselves and work to earn it. That way the portion of agents that do earn it can really feel proud. That being said though it feels at odds with most existing badges, especially with how closely scout controller ties to scout. For the most part all the badges are attainable in time and the truly dedicated are able to get wings on their badges to show off, the scaling of this and pioneer feel off from the rest of the group even though I much prefer the way scout contoller and pioneer are tuned
All in all a great update! new Intel is much more pleasant to navigate! Looking forward to competing with you for the new badge ;p
Feeling the same. I haven't even done one single portal scan as that feature is not even interesting to me. I do however like badges but this is just a silly badge.
15000 for onyx is much too high. Reduce the numbers generally for both scouting badges and there is a much higher chance that agents will actually try to achieve them
Of all the badges they could have added it was the one no one was asking for. I want to play the game and portal scanning is too time consuming, and not really worth doing at night.
15K ??? ****
definitely covid has meda NIA nuts and lost of reality 👃
Regular scout need 6000, and because the delay it need 2 years of intense scanning. Just scanning. Controller you need to be the best scanner, is 15 thousand unique portals, Wich equals more than 15k of scans. This is probably take 8 years until the first agent be able to get this. Congratulations in advance, agent! You're awesome!
Going for Scout Controller Onyx is a very difficult challenge. I intentionally set this medal at a greater difficulty than Scout, where this is more similar to medal tiers for Pioneer:
Pioneer: Capture unique Portals
It's easier to capture unique Portals than to become a Scout Controller, and we're also looking at the 200 Portal Scan per 14-day limit as well.
@NianticBrian haven't you learned from seer ?
With a so dumb huge amount of unique scan you ll only get a lot useless floor/feet/beer 5sec fake scan.
Your teams should really ise ingress some time 😐
Great work Niantic, you played yourself (again).
Thing is, comparing the time alone for both medals, capturing literally takes a second, given its gray, while scanning takes at least 30 seconds, given the 5 second scan minimum, encoding and uploading. Then you actually need to upload more scans then anyone else, so you might need to scan twice or thrice.
I love scanning, but without some improvements of the scanning process itself, like background encoding and background uploading, 15000 sounds just unnecessary hard. Please consider to lower those goals at least a tad bit. No one is saying Onyx should be 5 after all ;)
Those numbers are for Explorer: Visit unique Portals, Pioneer is 20, 200, 1000, 5000, 20000
Will you reconsider the numbers for Scout Controller since Onyx Pioneer requires only 10000 unique captures vs 15000 Scout Controllers?
I'm glad to hear that the Scan limit is being looked at.
I prefer keep playing ingress.
Capturing portals, linking, fielding, having fun PLAYING INGRESS, THE GAME.
Scout Controller Medal?!?!? Are you serious? Do you think that with all the fakes that ruin the game we will start to scan the portals?
Wait a minute, what?
make portal scanning more fun, as it is now i have zero motivation doing any more.....
@ikaros02 sorry, I updated my post. I was looking at both Pioneer and Explorer medal tiers, which are;
Explorer: Visit and hack unique Portals
Pioneer: Capture unique Portals
This is a really good idea as long as we can upload a lot more than 200 scans at once.
Maybe the player has to unlock more scans first?
Thanks for nothing, again.
And there's the fact that not every portals is "scanfriendly". One thing is hack if from 40m, other is stop and get close filming it slowly.
With a goal that high I believe most agents will just give up this entirely, maybe
Have you considered a small AP gain for every uploaded Portal Scan? It wouldn't need to be much, like 50AP per scan, but it would make sense, since other actions that improve the portal network also give AP, such as taking photos and adding descriptions.
Also the uploading from settings menu could use some new features. I'm thinking of text before and during uploading that would say "x Portal Scans waiting to be uploaded" and "Uploading Portal Scans, y/x uploaded"
Pioneer is 20,000 to Onyx. Explorer is 30,000.
Both of which are some of the least obtainable for the majority of players. I've done some stats and those badges go near the bottom for the number of people that have achieved it.
Scout controller is a silly metric to force people to do more scans. A system that very few people undertake as it is. There's no connection of portal scanning into the story or concept of Ingress, it's just another tool to get the players to do free labour. And I like portal scanning! I use up all my 200 scans each fortnight, which by the way is a good and manageable number. Any more and it gets more tedious than it is.
Also why didn't you focus on improving portal scanning first? Doing so would have streamlined the process and made it more fulfilling for agents. There are a heap of suggestions in the Feedback forum (part of the forums that seems to be constantly overlooked from Niantic commentary/support).
I agree with everybody else, 15,000 is ridiculous for Onyx. Especially since Scout is only 6,000 and is achievable at a minimum of two years of constant scanning.
Also not including previous scans just completely devalues the prior efforts those of us put in to work on the Scout badge.
Does Niantic even play Ingress? Do they even bother to do consistent portal scanning themselves? If they did, they would know better.
Portal scanning is nothing like capturing portals. The ratios are just not realistic.