Photowar (Remove Portal Photo's Author Name and Faction)

HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2020 in App Feedback (Archive)

I'd like to suggest the complete removal of pictures ownership from ingress. It literally add nothing but spite and hatred because the lack of sportsmanship some people get mad if their pictures got replace, even if it's a better one. And it create the Photowar against factions, people voting based of the faction of the submitter not the overall quality.

Niantic want to built a faithful virtual reality map of the world, right? So why let this piece of information that can mislead the opinion of voters? Faction B don't like photos of faction A, but instead of taking a better one will just vote in any B picture. Or certain players will became mad because a rival destroyed his farm, and start upvote others pictures as a form of "attack". This should not happen but it does, and the main damage goes through the whole community. Worse pictures will difficult differentiate keys, won't fit on the key frame, will affect the other games too, like pokemon that the pokestop have to be really well centered.

Also, submissions from Pokemon Go already don't show the onwership of the pictures, so that's already one step just need to remove the others, to make this feature neutral. And add this thumb system to pokemon to, they deserve the right to vote too.

Or at least change the layout of how it is showed, so the player will only see the ownership of they really want and not having shoved up their face every time that the portal page is opened.

I have over 500 portal approved and probably about the same or more extra pictures and I'm giving up my onwership of them if my name and faction is a problem for some people.

Tagged:

Comments

• jontebulajontebula ✭✭✭✭✭

Better Niantic remove 👍🏻 when agents 👍🏻 on most bad photo.

• DSktrDSktr ✭✭✭✭

Actually a good idea. We're having new Portals from PoGo with neutral-coloured "Unknown", i've seen old Portals with faction-coloured "unknown" too. So why just don't remove nicknames from photos at all. This will (almost) stop upvoting by faction/agent so we'll have a chance that better photo will be on first place.

• KhatreKhatre ✭✭✭✭✭

that's dumb as good or bad is purely subjective and all pictures starts a 0 vote

• SSSputnikSSSputnik ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020

I think the names are good as it allows identity of bad actors.

Pokemon players names should also be shown. That also looks like a poor sub :)

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

How the pictures can be used to identify bbad actor?

• Completely disagree. Would actually propose the opposite, that all the other games and gamers are getting slighted by getting zero credit for their contributions to the Wayspot network.

For instance there's a few Wayspots that I've tried nominating several, if not well over a dozen times. After Pogo was allowed to nominate and approve, they are finally in the game as the legitimate submissions they always had been. I'd like to give the person that submitted them a 'Hey good job, thank you, I tried to get that approved X amount of times'. Who do I get to thank? "Unknown". There's a very good chance I'm in Pogo chats with "Unknown".

Ingress players, and now Pogo, have traveled the world, climbed mountains, scrolled maps, followed obscure signs, and gone out to do the thing and find the place. If I have room, I usually try to keep the key until it's first capture to see who gets it and curious if they put in any thought of 'who found the thing', some of which I wonder how they stumbled upon it themselves. I look around nearby portals and see players that have long come and gone, or passed through and went on to further contribute in other things like Fev Games. 'Hey, I recognize that name! They made the portal up the road!' or 'Good find Player 2!'.

Frankly, I think the lack of credit to those who have contributed is rather contemptful. The very LEAST we deserve for our contributions to these worlds within the world is to have our tags displayed on the places we've found, submitted, and voted to being approved in ALL of the games in at least some fashion. I've submitted beyond a few that I have never and am positive will never return to spin, hack, or capture. There's a place I've been wanting to go to for months and one of the reasons is to see who submitted it.

Give credit where credit is due. Sounds like you have some petty players in your area, I do too; but that doesn't mean components of the game should continue to be ruined or removed due to the toxic idiocy of petulant *********. Components that really deserve to be and continue to be expanded to any addition that uses Wayspots.