Cheating user or am I just dumb?

It might be only my imagination or a scanner bug, but just now, at 1 AM local time, in a very secluded area, two of my portals got OBLITERATED each in less than sixty seconds. The alerts came within less than thirty seconds between "attacked" and "neutralized". To make things weirder, one had a Rare shield, a Turret and two links as defense (that one might be plausible), but the other had a Very Rare shield and one AEGIS and still was blasted like nothing by a level 10 user.

Even worse, exactly twenty minutes passed between the first attack and the second, but the portals aren't what you would call near each other. It took me well over an hour on foot to get form the first portal (placed under a high bridge on the opposite side of a highway crossroad) to the Aegis portal (deep, steep, uphill and very convoluted road to a town that does not connect easily with the highway) A car or bike might be much faster, but here's a thing: the Aegis portal is in a zone with very poor cellphone reception, and after a good ten minutes struggling to connect and a couple connection errors, it still took me over FIFTY total hits from both charged Lv 6 and 7 Ultra Strikes and Busters before it fell. No Very Rare mods, just three Rare shields and a Turret.

More strange, even though I left other portals on my way between the two, and despite clearly being at least eight other uncaptured in the zone, one less than fifty meters from the ones he destroyed, none were captured.

I thought this couldn't get more unusual, but just by curiosity I checked this user profile. Oh boy.

200 unique portals captured. Over 1000 links created. Obsidian Illuminator medal. Over 500 Control Fields.

But this user has never gotten past BRONZE TREKKER and BRONZE HACKER! HOW?

HOW do you create over 1000 links without hacking for keys? How do you get Gold Translator, again, with so few hacks? How do you get over 4000000 MU AND get a SILVER MEDAL for creating Control Fields without WALKING? He even has TWO event medals for hacking over 100 Unique portals and still, no walking between portals, ever? No attacking portals that have no Lv 8 Resonators? Traveling miles in less than twenty minutes to destroy two speciffic portals but no capturing easy free portals fifty meters away?

Something here is clearly wrong. Maybe it's me, but I have to know. I need to know. Am I missing something?

Comments

• KarM3LKarM3L ✭✭✭

It might be only my imagination or a scanner bug, but just now, at 1 AM local time, in a very secluded area, two of my portals got OBLITERATED each in less than sixty seconds. The alerts came within less than thirty seconds between "attacked" and "neutralized". To make things weirder, one had a Rare shield, a Turret and two links as defense (that one might be plausible), but the other had a Very Rare shield and one AEGIS and still was blasted like nothing by a level 10 user.

alerts have never been reliable and mimimal signal can cause a number of bursters to be released at once

broze treker = cargress

average of 3 keys per hack 1000 links is only 300 hacks gold translator on p8s only would be around 400 hacks even allowing for half correct would be 800 still well under 2000 needed for broze hacker

short of time or resos/bursters plenty of reasons not to take intermediate portals

• InerasIneras ✭✭
    edited July 2

You're overthinking this, trying to weave a story that fits your narrative. It's been a year and a half since the Aegis nerf. Even L8 agents **** with Hypercubes and X8s can melt practically anything nowadays.

Why don't you try filing a report? See if the good folks at support will investigate. Ask around your local community about this wunderkind agent. Maybe even talk to them yourself. I think it's unfair of you to come to a public forum to accuse someone without even engaging them.

• 24601LM24601LM ✭✭

Bronze hacker is 2000-9999 hacks. I have bronze Hacker and platinum Translator (9926 hacks; 29910 glyph hack points). I am an honest player who has played for just under a year and really likes glyph hacking. So, bronze Hacker + gold Translator seems completely plausible. Hacker requires REALLY huge numbers.

For Illuminator, I'd guess the player drives to portals in remote small towns and makes really big fields. Not my cup of tea. I like to walk. But consistent with the stats.

• NaruwasherNaruwasher ✭✭✭

I think you are overthinking this. I did not even have a Bronze Hacker before I got my Silver Translator. My friends introduced me to Glyph hacking the day they saw my first activity on the comms and with non-stop practice from L3, I was already doing L4 glyphs easily and had most of the glyph names already memorized by the time I hit L8. I know several people who are getting close to their second recursion and are just a little over their platinum Trekker. They could just be car/bikegressing. Plus, as already stated, scanner notifications are not always reliable. Depending on if server updates are going on or not, the lag can be crazy (which seems to be a case quite often these days).

• theimmctheimmc ✭✭✭
    edited July 2

To add to what others are saying, you can ultrastrike shields off, and if you use low enough ultrastrikes to avoid hitting the resonators, no alerts will be sent. That's why I like to have some L5 / L6 ultrastrikes around for knocking off shields, so that people won't get the notification early and start recharging.

The way around this is to place a resonator close to the center of the portal.

• The way you described it looks to be a cheating account of a well established agent. But again, we never know.