[Intel Bug] COMM does not move past requests that return too many entries.

When scrolling back through the COMM log, at Thursday, June 25, 2020 12:11:04.406 PM in the above view, a request for getPlexts is made that returns entries which are all at the same timestamp. Essentially, 50+ events occurred at exactly the same time. Because of this, Intel can never scroll back past that time, because the max timestamp is end inclusive, and is never set to earlier than that timestamp.

Repeated attempts to scroll simply result in the same entries being retrieved over and over.

This is the request:

{"minLatE6":33837912,"minLngE6":-117942953,"maxLatE6":33905400,"maxLngE6":-117778158,"minTimestampMs":-1,"maxTimestampMs":1593087064406,"tab":"all","v":"bb473cd62691894df0733d10860034fcbeb81897"} 

Since every entry has a timestamp of 1593087064406 it will keep making the same request over and over, because no older entry is returned. Manually adjusting the timestamp to request an earlier time, succeeds in opening further entries up (though immediately hits another logjam once, but after that is fine).

This means that COMM cannot be viewed before a certain time, if an action taken by a player results in 50+ messages at that time.

Tagged:

Comments

• I have the response from the above request too, if you'd like me to send it somewhere. It's too long to post (26841 bytes), and I can't attach anything but images.

• edited September 2020

Update: https://intel.ingress.com/?ll=42.810675,-70.872287&z=17

This location exhibits the bug when scrolling back to 2020-09-03 03:38:29.327 UTC

@ofer2 Is there any chance this can be looked at?

Possible solutions:

1. All entries for a given timestamp get returned even if that ends up being more than 50, if any do.
    2. Requests for data start with a maximum of the millisecond before the last received message. (I'm assuming this is end-inclusive since it keeps returning the value
    3. Something more creative based on your own knowledge of the server activity.
  • ofer2ofer2 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020

Yeah, we're tracking this bug internally. The problem is that it happens rarely and isnt a simple fix.

1. All entries for a given timestamp get returned even if that ends up being more than 50, if any do.

This would probably be the thing we would do, but is still a little more involved because when we query the data, we dont actually inspect the resulting data, just return it. Even then, we paginate based on timestamp, so we wouldnt even know how many results there are in that timestamp so we cant simply up the limit count.

2. This would result in messages potentially being skipped.

3. Not off the top of my head, sorry.

I'll poke Brian about it to see if he thinks this should be higher priority, but I think there are probably more impactful bugs to fix. Also, we may look at trying to switch to the RWP chat in which case we would have to redo a lot of this system anyways which means that fixing existing bugs is of lower priority.

• 1valdis1valdis ✭✭✭✭✭

Hopefully if you do the switch of the chat to RWP (which I assume would be a good thing for Ingress future), we won't lose our Activities and cross-faction chat.

• edited September 2020

@ofer2

Also, we may look at trying to switch to the RWP chat in which case we would have to redo a lot of this system anyways which means that fixing existing bugs is of lower priority.

When this happens, is it possible that we can get the channels reorganized on Intel, similar to the App?

Activities - All activity in game (but no alerts from outside the viewable window).

Alerts - All alerts

Faction Chat - Faction chat in the viewable window, plus any faction channel alerts (from outside the viewable window range)

Cross Faction - Cross faction chat in the viewable window, plus any cross faction chat alerts.

The chat alerts currently don't show up in the Faction and Cross Faction channels on the app, but they should, so you can talk to someone outside your range or viewable window, without having to swap between alerts and chat.

• ofer2ofer2 ✭✭✭✭✭

Update: looks like we may get to fixing this bug sooner rather than later :)