So you want to monetize...
At begining - i'm spending a lot for Ingress game. Apex was great idea - now i'm using like 4-5 on weekly basis.
But it won't make game proffitable for you as not everyone want to use them or have opportunity to use them effectively. I have some ideas you can consider.
- Frackers price are too high now. Before raise i used them few times during week. Now i'm not using them - not just because of price but they are used so rarely now that people looking into Intel knows i'm planing something instantly. Ergo - i'm not buying them anymore. Bring them back to old price and you will see - it will bring you much more profit.
- Lower price of beacons. Like 66% drop. Make them real MICROtransactions as they do nothing but visual. People will use them just for fun then.
- shop.ingress.com - really. Sell some swag. Sell loadout and medal cards. Sell merchandise. I want to buy some hoodie, want to buy some backpack, wanna get some cap. Official ingress phone gloves, phone covers. Come on. There is lot of stuff that will sell out easily.
- Did i mention cards? Biocards are collectible. Medal ingame is some fun but hunting for pok... i mean biocards and collecting them all - is really fun for collectors. I don't get why you decided to sell them ingame shop only instead of keeping physical releases.
- Host freakin' parties on anomalies and hexathlons alongside with POCs. Seriously. Build your brand for new playerbase (yeah - there is a lot of new players). Host OPR live. Just get easy money.
- From teardown of updates we know that paid inventory spaces are coming. Some people hates an idea, i think it will be great. But... You have to gave people opportunity to earn it free because last thing you want is losing some playerbase. So let's say 5$ for permament +50 inventory space, 15$ for +200. Player can get them by each recursion (+200) or onix multiplier (+25/+50).
- I saw something with subscription and inventory again - make it key related only.
- Add more keylockers.
- Start hunting for multiaccounts. Really easy ML algorithm running on your database once a week. Mark suspicious trades, send them to your team so they can look into it and... remove all so precious items. 3 strike policy in use - warning, warning, ban.
Ok something more about point 5. There are faction divided parties hosted by POCs. Sometimes they are great, sometimes they sucks but... You have a power to make huge, both factions party in "demilitarized zone". Just put few L8 temporary portals in party area, half of them blue, half of them green and make them immune for attacks during party time. Make few tables with your people - Q&A area (it can be optional and kept for NL1331 events only), swag area, biocards area. Maybe even some beers branded by NIA made my local breweries.
To be clear - allow POCs to make their own, faction divided afterparties.
My POV - for playing ingress i spent something like 6-8k$ last year. For travel tickets, gasoline, hotels, car rentals, parking tickets, speeding tickets etc. :D ONLY something like 350$ directly to NIA (some swag paid on NL-1331, Dresden failomaly, APEX, Frackers, digital loadouts of medals). Would be happy to spent much more. Really. Just give me and other players opportunity. In return give us some quality product (i know pepople are biasing Prime, i like it, i understand technical issues and developing problems, but you need to be more transparent in communication, explain, show some roadmap, discuss ideas with playerbase).