As much as I love new players, I hate them too

AnaKNOXdownAnaKNOXdown ✭✭
edited May 2020 in General

The title says everything.

Some of us have had discussion about this multiple times - new players are as "good" as bad. I live in a city where there are not that so many Ingress players and every new player is more than welcome in our community. More players = better game.

I'm sure how a majority of us started leveling up by making sh!tlinks to any available portal. Sure, I understand that but you can't do that through all the way to level 16. I personally know players who are level 11+ and still sh!tlink the whole city and once you warn them about how their behaviour is bad for the community they start to giggle like retards thinking it's funny to pull dumb links everywhere. They're conscious of the fact that they scr3w their own faction and that's NOT FUNNY.

They:

• refuse to get help we offer them (how to max field)
  • either giggle thinking it's funny OR play victims (OH NOONE LOVES 'N' SUPPORTS ME, THAT'S THE WAY I PLAY)
  • refuse to listen AT ALL

How to deal whith these people and their ingame behaviour?

Here's one cool starburst photo

Tagged:

Comments

• oscarc1oscarc1 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know recursed agents that do nothing but shitlink, they have platinum Connector but only a gold Illuminator badge!

It's just the nature of players and an aspect of the game that has to be worked around. People won't listen to change their play styles to suite others, they will play the way they want to - and that should be respected.

If you want to link and field nicely, you need to employ your strategy to create blockers and perfect your timing so that you can succeed.

The game is very fluid and anything can happen at any stage, the more prepared you are, the better position you will be to succeed.

• AnaKNOXdownAnaKNOXdown ✭✭
    edited May 2020

Once blockers was made to "protect" the fielding of my cityquater. Guess what happened next? One of the sh!tlinking guys literally got "inside" those blockers and destroyed my fanfielding in process! He refuses to join FS meetings and refuses to be talked to. Other guys join FS but refuse to listen and giggle instead. No matter how detailed you want to explain them, they still won't listen. It's ridiculous.

• I have also players like that in my area and I was also a player like that. What works is talk and tell that they are blocking plans and how time and work and man hours you have put into this game plan.  

But sometimes the only thing you can do is follow that player and destroy it's work. That works wonders with XF actions like XF Christmas star. You need to lay the basics with building a social netwerk of helping the players. You should worry at the moment your local fraction is a pack of lonely wolfs. A lot of big plans fall because there is not local support. If some one is willing to use flipcards against it's own team then it is team up and offer the last helping hand and then it is situation where you did to draw the line and you need to force the player to work together.  

• New players?

What you described is not limited to new players. In fact I have seen this mostly from veteran players who should know better by now - throwing yolo-links all over the place even when visiting areas that they don’t normally play in, deploying junk mods in strategic high level portals (you don’t need to be a rocket surgeon to understand that high level portal with VR mods doesn’t require your Common Multi-Hack). Why upgrade portal to help others when you can throw all links that show and drive away?

It’s not limited to single faction either. I have been on both sides via recursions.

My biggest enemy has always been my teammates messing up my plans. Way more expensive to fix than opponents doing the same.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

Not much u can do, in my region we have some res players too that dont even want be in our community chat, play for themselves dont even help others just throws their fields etc... how is this fun just play solo i dont know? might aswell play pokemon since u dont have to pay attention to anyone there more or less..

• @artemush interesting position. Hypothetically speaking, what if majority of players in the area across both factions can agree that it’s a “sh!tlink”. Let’s be real, you know that it is when you see one. Still ok? But why pretend that you’re part of the team then?

Let’s go to another extreme. You said portals are meant to be destroyed. Destroying your team’s L8 flip farm. Also ok?

I’m just wondering where do you draw the line...

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

This is not a problem of new players specificaly, but just a characteristic of a bad player.

A newcomer will create a few bad links, and block himself, and will starting planing his next links to not mess up himself, and if engaged with the community, to help them and to block the ennemies. But a bad player/noob will never learn because he doesn't care. Its easier to do simple hacks a throw random link. Farming takes times and is boring so is a no no. Well, each one will have a playstyle, some will get better or other not, some will get deep into the lore and other won't care at all.

Some people will never learn. Some might finish Mario World without using Y to dash because never cared to press it while hold + so believes it does nothing and never tried it again.

• Yay thanks for the shout out! But just a reminder of how out of date it is!! 😱

• NysyrNysyr ✭✭✭✭

The problem with slinks is its just way too costly to clear them if they are thrown by your own team, especially if they are constantly being thrown.

What we really need is an item that can break links to a portal of ones own faction that's more common than the current Viruses - preferably without reversing the alignment of the portal. Lock it behind recursing or something so it can't be readily abuse by people making alts.

• MirthmakerMirthmaker ✭✭✭✭

Agreed. Sometimes there is a very good reason to leave a link up that deserves to get smashed. The MU argument is a perfect one.

Fields put up by a less than level 5-6 player you know is real, might stay up a little longer than the recursed player's links because you "know" what happens when left unchecked what they will do.

• NysyrNysyr ✭✭✭✭

That's nice if it applies to your area, but wayward links here mean several ADA/Jarvis to get any MU. 1/1500 Hack per own team link you want dead, that's just dumb.

• YOLO Players are nothing new and not just new people. And everyone plays their own way.

My preference is to link every portal 5+ times, when fielding out an area, because it gives far more shielding and makes more work for the other team to knock down. So to me, it's annoying when someone comes along with an unhealthy obsession for linking every portal back to 2 and layering it all up, because two kills and the whole area is unlinked, and more often than not they've ignored 80% of the portals under those layers in order to use the spine.

Does it annoy me? Yes. Does it make me want to strangle someone? Nope. Because their very indefensible setup, by its very nature, will disappear soon enough when someone wanting AP sees it. It's far too juicy a target to be left alone, and then all I have to do is get in before the layer nut comes back, and throw enough fields to stop any layering until I can finish it all.

• “My preference is to link every portal 5+ times, when fielding out an area”

@Perringaiden care to share a picture if this geometrically impossible linking pattern where *every portal* has 5 or more links?

• ToxoplasmollyToxoplasmolly ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

@TeamWarez:

Care to share a picture of this geometrically impossible linking pattern where *every portal* has 5 or more links?

For the geometry, take a look at Triangular Tiling. For a collection portals amenable to that pattern, uh, I leave that as an exercise for the reader. 😅

• ToxoplasmollyToxoplasmolly ✭✭✭✭✭

That strikes me as a rather useless nitpick of the point that @Perringaiden was making. It's not difficult to imagine the style of fielding being described.

• grendelwulfgrendelwulf ✭✭✭✭✭

For me, if it shows it throws. Especially for keys I know will be useless to me otherwise.

• Nitpick or not but I’m still interested in linking pattern where *every portal* has 5 links or more.

It’s possible on sphere, but let’s stay realistic and say we are not covering the whole Earth.

• There is lots of ways to play. What I'm seeing is agents trying to define areas as "theirs" and percieved ownership causes more issues in this game than anything else (guardian badge being taken away was a relief).

Where I am, we have a couple of agents that do huge stacked multifields which are great in themselves, but if they are taken out, they are put up under 2 hours. Multiple players have given up because they can't play under these fields. Any agent of the same faction that takes them out are labelled traitors and bad agents. Any agent the blocks the lines are whinged about.

Ive taken them down myself a couple of times so that 4 'same faction' agents in the area can try to level up. Its frustrating for them. They shitlink when they can mainly because they just don't get enough actual play time to plan properly and the game just suffers from it all.