Portal Decay

2»

Comments

• MirthmakerMirthmaker ✭✭✭✭

When the bug gets more manageable, put the game on hard mode. Subscription demands that inventory turn over a lot faster than it was in 2019.

How hard is the tough part - until then double 7, one week decay, 90 seconds between hacks is the sweet spot under bug conditions - when we come out from under, revert back to double 6, make decay four days, and hacks every five minutes is appropriate hard mode?

• TunkelTunkel ✭✭
    edited February 2021

"people to ask for higher decay rate" is an invalid argument... At the moment, everyone can recharge remotely and honestly, I do as many recharges as possible in as many portals as possible and I don't mind if there is anyone you wants it neutral (apart of big operations). It is crystal clear that you never make any unique capture in a well kept area nowadays. And honestly, if this was either games purpose, motivation or if it was even close to be fun then you wouldn't see neutral TOWNS all over the world. Instead they would be bluish or greenish if there was someone before with low resonator decay. So just collect your uniques in areas of opposite faction as the game SHOULD be if had worldwide 1 million player's more than now. If you think the game spirit is to increase unique captures by capturing neutral portals... Then NIA should think about shutting down the server and release an offline single player version for you and your badges.

• TunkelTunkel ✭✭
    edited February 2021

(My post before was regarding @1valdis aldis.)

I fully disagree that rebuild is anything close to be time saving over recharge. My assumption is a well built neighborhood with great mods and fielded by at least 2 layer, preferable 3 or more, leading to the fact SBUL is needed at some point in some portals and so one. So it is even impossible to rebuild it alone if you intetested in shielding... . Anyway, if was alone in my own town: 100 portals portal per day nice multilayered: you need to glyph the keys, think about field plan and of course.... Reach all 100 per day (assuming little pieces per day, 700 once a week seems to be insane/impossible)... And this is easier than 3, 4h glyphing/recycling for xm? Ahm, no...

My point is also not the grey spots. I don't mind. The point is that I want to play more ingress like you well explained: walk around, capture attack. If I would do so I would lose the work I've done already. And I play in Berlin, nothing is safe here. Some more stable areas, some battle grounds, and parts nobody cares about.

The overall problem is a shrinking player base along with a well expanding portal network. The fix decay rate was fine 3 years ago with 3x more active players and - 50% of portals, now its the ingress endgame... Am I able to support 100 portals more or have I reached my cap. Yeah, what a "fun" trying to beat the endboss Decay

• Build, deacay, rebuild - if this was fun we wouldn't lose players. Ingress could be an offline single player game.

Isn't Ingress about competition? 2 factions battle for MU? Instead we got blue and green spots and none of the sides has enough XM to do both: maintain&defend owned portals and expand into opposite or neutral area. We got enough portals and and few players left that people are able to play without any attacks.

Imagine decay was gone at all. People would start to capture everything, at some point we got no neutral portals anymore. So what's the difference? To build up something or collect unqiue captures you needed to check the intel map and identify enemies territory and do play Ingress. Attack, capture, link.

On the other hand, imagine decay rate was 100%. Lifetime of a portal is 24h. Literally everything becomes neutral, recharge is impossible, you could even remove cubes and whole xm concept at all. Do you think it was fun? Do you think we even needed burster in the game? Just wait a day and claim it.. For 24h.

My preference is scenario 1, no decay. Ingress shouldn't be a single player game without attacks. Portals shouldn't be neutral. They should remain as anyone built them up, even it was months ago.

3, 4 years ago it was fun. No recharge needed because most portals changed the faction multiple times a day.

• 1valdis1valdis ✭✭✭✭✭

So what do you suggest to do to players with no opposition after they capture everything nearby? Uninstall since the game doesn't let them play it anymore (nothing left to do)?

• I just came up with the 2 extreme scenarios.

I don't think that ingress is a great game for people with no opposition. They quit at some point anyway. Too boring or they get a huge field anyway at some point because this is exactly what happens with a dead area.

I suggested a lower decay rate, preferrable linked to players opinion. Like an ingame option for a personal decay rate for own resonators. But you could also link it to mods, like: no shields = 25% decay, - 5% per CS, -8% per RS and - 11% per VRS since this is exactly what players want: good shields in stable, longterm portals and garbage or even no shields in frontline portals, rural areas or drive-by portals.

The decay is just annoying, this daily recharge is a waste of time. Do you remember the xm anomaly with double decay rate? Literally everything people spent time into was rotten to neutral. Great mods gone, nice fields gone and so one. People were glyphing all day long to maintain at least the most important parts. Also pointless to build something up... Most people just waited for the end of the mess to start from scratch again.

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

Problem isn't decay, is lack of player.

Solution: Red faction AI randomly taking portals and creating fields.

• TunkelTunkel ✭✭
    edited February 2021

Yeah, nice concept. So, given the fact that Nia would make it in 5y+ we need an interim solution to increase agents ability controlling more portals.

Regarding decay to neutral: the reasons are obviously limited. In most cases the main recharger is inactive due to quit, vacation, illness or removal. In other cases the last key is gone by accident or link. Whenever a whole playzone of an active player decays you can be sure that a big operation will start. Decay to limit ADA/Jarvis invest.

There is just one type of agents never recharging anything: the AP hunters. I know one even providing burster to opposite agents so that they clean it up again. Just disgusting.

The majority of active players left need to deal with more and more portals and the endless loop of glyph and recharge.

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭

But capturing portals isn't the objective. The real objective is controlling mind units, so is better to recharge fewer strategical portals than keep everything alive.

I can see the benefits of longer decay, but it will make the game utterly boring. That's no benefit to anyone but the "players" who play by not playing at all, just keeping their "guardians" recharged.

I'm more in favor of a mod to slow down decay, so the agents could choose strategically where to deploy. Want to just log in once or twice a month? Use the decay slower mod on yours favorite portals and let the actual players play.

• Imagine decay was gone at all. People would start to capture everything, at some point we got no neutral portals anymore. So what's the difference?

Since the beginning of the game, there have been places with no opposition. And there always will be. Making no decay won't magically create players. There are other fundamental issues with the game. All it will do is make it boring for people who don't already have lots of opposition, who will quit before anyone turns up.

Yeah, nice concept. So, given the fact that Nia would make it in 5y+ we need an interim solution to increase agents ability controlling more portals.

We have it. It's called decay.

Whatever concept you've managed to get in your head, decay is not the cause or the solution. Removing decay will destroy the game for many players because right now they have no opposition. Removing decay might be a worthwhile change when we already have strong, active and well populated communities with a steady stream of new players. But now is the worst time to do it.

You're identifying a real problem, then targeting something that stems that problem as a 'fix'.

• aaronviannoaaronvianno ✭✭✭✭

It would be awesome if they bumped up the decay rate to 17% forever. That way someone with no active opponents around can field at the same time every week.