[Feature/Improvement/UX] Portal Scanning

LucoireLucoire ✭✭
edited March 2020 in App Feedback (Archive)
(Improvement) long-term Scanning-Progress

As a Portal Scanner, it is somewhat difficult to keep track of which portals have already been scanned and how well the data-set is refined. That's why I'd like the following changes:

• Show in the app, (PER PORTAL) how many Scans have already been submitted (by the player if possible)
    • List the Scans with Date+Time
  • Show an indication, how well the 3D-Model is refined
    • Maybe a rotating gif of the current data-points?
    • Maybe a percentage?
    • Maybe show a fully-rendered, rotating model in the INTEL?

(UX) Upload later

Uploading is somewhat fragile (eg. app-freezes) / of unknown length. That's why I'd like to see the following changes made:

• (In the Options, below to the Upload-Button) List the number + size of the files waiting to be uploaded
  • (During the Upload) Show a Progress-Bar: [Already Uploaded Size] / [Total Upload Size] ([Already Uploaded File Number] / [Total File Number])
  • (In case of freeze/cancel) Allow partial uploads / continuation of incomplete uploads

(Feature) "Big-Object"-Mode

As described in the Scanning-Guide, some Portal-Objects are too big to be scanned in just 1 go. For those cases I'd like to suggest a set of different Scanning modes:

• (SMALL) 30 seconds, 2 frame per second
  • (MEDIUM) 1 minute, 1 frame per second
  • (LARGE) 2 minutes, 1 frame per 2 seconds
Tagged:

Comments

• ToxoplasmollyToxoplasmolly ✭✭✭✭✭

Some of these sentiments and ideas have come up in previous threads:

• When I submit a new picture I get an E-mail.

When I submit a wayspot nomination or an edit of a portal I get an E-Mail.

When my nomination (or edit) is accepted or denied I got an E-Mail.

Why don't I get an E-Mail after successfully uploading a portal scan?

• 1valdis1valdis ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

@Lucoire

(In case of freeze/cancel) Allow partial uploads / continuation of incomplete uploads

Already does. If the upload fails in the middle, then uploaded stuff will be counted, and you can try again with the rest. Worked for me when I got 3 fails during one uploading session and my stat was 15, <haven't looked>, 26, 32, 40 in between fails.

Show in the app, (PER PORTAL) how many Scans have already been submitted (by the player if possible)

I don't think it's possible to show by the player because they emphasized anonymization of the scans. I don't know why someone would need the anonymization though but that's what we got...

(Feature) "Big-Object"-Mode

I just make multiple scans of the same object if I can't make it in 30 seconds. So I don't think it's needed.

What I consider badly needed is more visuals, more stuff to make it less similar to recording a portal on a video and send it into the void.

@BitKloepplerin

Why don't I get an E-Mail after successfully uploading a portal scan?

Because portal scan doesn't require review, unlike submitting photo, portal, or edit. I definitely do not want a letter for each of 6000 scans in onyx medal. I do not want to spam my email with this.

• phthoruthphthoruth ✭✭✭

Theres a bug related to upload errors

But as a feature request I would like the quota updated based on successful uploads.

That way when there are errors and you dont get credit for the scans, the quota would correct itself.

I've lost over 100 quota due to scan errors, and that would help get them back.

Also a higher quota would help. In practice I've been getting quota for about 100 scans per 13 days. It will take a long time to get the badges at this rate.