Portal Scan upload errors count against upload quota

After scanning a portal, the 'Upload Later' often fails with 'Submission failed: Please try again.'

These failed attempts appear to count against the quota of 200 uploads per 13 days.

I'm currently at 117 successful uploads, but have hit my quota.

The upload error occurs consistently once or twice after restarting Ingress Prime.

After that scans fail less often. But today I had a particularly bad experience, and I kept trying about 20 times, because in my experience it always works eventually. But it did not and I gave up. But when I tried to scan the next portal, I got the message that I had hit my limit.

The upload that failed repeatedly was only 27 MB. At the time I started I had wifi enabled and internet may have not been working well, but I was able to hack the portal. I tried disabling wifi and killing all other apps, but that didnt help.

When doing the upload later from the settings page, it is sometimes very slow... more than 30 minutes. I usually just do this once a day, so its 10 - 15 scans.

Once I thought it had hung so I cancelled, and after that, I didnt have the option to try again? So as far as I know, I lost that batch of scans. I suspect those also counted against my quota, but not toward my Scout badge.

Can you fix the quota so failed uploads don't count?

Can you fix the upload, so if it is aborted, and all the scans are lost, that they dont count against the quota?

Ingress Prime 2.41.4

Comments

• phthoruthphthoruth ✭✭✭✭

Tried uninstalling Prime but still can't do portal scans.

The large number of scan errors must have put me well over the 200 scans/13 days.

If roughly half of scans have an upload later error, our real limit is about 100 scans/13 days, and it will take alot longer to achieve the badge.

6000 scans/100 scans * 13 days = 780 days. 2.1 years

• HydracyanHydracyan ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

That's true! I did one but have 198 left...

But I'm not worried actually. I probably won't be able to keep up 200 a week.

• mortuusmortuus ✭✭✭✭✭

I just uploaded a little over 20 scans from home.. it said once complete i check progress in scanner shows AR videos 15.... so u dont know which ones got lost for some reason... shame....

Day 3 of scans not working due to upload quota bug; They stopped working Monday, March 23 at 4:18 pm.

I've got 117 uploads, but it says I've passed the 200 uploads/13 days.

• grsmhikergrsmhiker ✭✭✭

I am having the same issue; I now upload all my scans from wifi, but when in the field sometimes tapping the 'upload later' button still gives the error message, and counts against the quota.

The error still occurs for me on 2.43.3

There is one agent with 198 scans. Which tells me that the error does not occur for all agents. Perhaps he is on iphone?

I hit my 200 limit with 117 scans, so 58% success. 42% fail.

So far I've observed the failure is 100% for the first scan after a restart of the scanner.

Scout has been out more than 13 days now, so I get some quota each day. yesterday I had a quota of 20.

My first 2 scans failed. In the app, before you 'Upload Later' you can see your quota, and watch the errors consume quota.

But after that I had 16 successful upload later, and had used up my quota for the day. I managed to get thru the scans without restarting prime and did my upload via wifi, which claimed success. But when I checked my stat, I only got credit for 16, not 18.

So I think the scans that have errors on first attempt, and then claim success, actually fail, consuming quota and giving no scan credit.

tip: wait for enough quota to do a large batch of scans. If you only have a small quota, the guaranteed first failure is a high percentage of your quota wasted.

I saw this too. But I think its because during the initial scan and 'upload later' there was an error. I think reguardless of the number of times you try and eventually get a success message, you dont get credit for it when you upload from settings.

Perhaps we could prove this by doing upload now when theres an error. And check if the badge stat goes up.

The work around might be to rescan that portal from scratch if there is an upload later error.

It still uses up quota for the failed 'upload later', but the scans that work, give credit.

Some other observations:

1. On the portals I scanned I also did photos, and the photos always uploaded ok.
    2. scanning uses a lot of battery.. I would guess the video encoding and camera. I can tell it is intense because at low battery, the video is not smooth and upload later takes a long time... about 30 seconds.
    3. after uploading the stat doesnt always update until you do a forced sync. .err.. restart.
    4. the stat does not increase as much as expected. I uploaded 18 successful scans and got credit for 16. My guess is the 'upload later' failing once, is really fatal, even though repeating the upload later reports success.

• with 2.43.4 error became even more frequent. i wish i could rollback this update

Does Niantic respond to these bug reports? or is this just user to user support?

I'm still losing quote. I do more 'successful' scans than I get credit for, losing quota.

We're supposed to get 200 quota/13 days. I use up my quota every day, but am not get 200 'Portals Scanned'

Its been 29 days, so we should have 435 scan quota.

I'm at 331.

The last 2 days that I scanned I lost 1 each time.

I had 7 quota and scans but got credit for 6.

And I had 20 quota, but got credit for 19.

I think the reason is the scanner crashing during uploads. The quota is immediately taken, but if theres an upload error or crash, that scan is lost and you dont get the quota back.

If the 'Upload Later' is done, it would be better to remove 1 from the quota only if the upload later succeeds.

Or compute new quota based on 'Portals Scans Uploaded'. The server should know how many scans you've actually uploaded in the last 13 days. 200-Portals Scans Uploaded for the last 13 days is how much quota you should have.

• Are you using an iPhone?

Android on Moto G7.

I only had 1 scan error that resulted in lost quota this week.

Would still be nice if they fixed this bug.

I did 1 scan on Thursday (April 23). It used the quota of 1, but I didn't get credit.

No errors were reported, but it said 'success' almost instantly, which I thought was suspicious, because its usually a bit slow.

I tried a restart, and checked settings for any pending uploads, but the Scans Uploaded did not change, nor did I get the scan quota back.

I use my quota daily, so in theory I should see a rolling 13 days Scans Uploaded of 200 scans. But I've never achieved that. Scans fail but quota is consumed.

btw after scanning and saying upload now, and then going back to regular game play, sometimes the scanner crashes a few seconds later.

I suspect this is the same crash that occurs when uploading via wifi from the settings page. Ive had as many as 3 crashes from the settings page. I'm not sure these crashes lead to lost scans and quota. But after restarting, I see pending uploads from the settings page.

Then after uploading all videos, sometimes the stats page doesnt update right away. A restart will force a refresh.

Sometimes these things make it look like lost scans, but after doing the uploads and restart, the scans uploaded is correct.

But sometimes not.

• with 2.43.4 error became even more frequent. i wish i could rollback this update

This issue continues to occur in 2.46.1

When an issue occurs during scan or upload, quota is lost and no scan credit is given.

If a scan is lost, can we get the quota back?

• HopeaKotkaHopeaKotka ✭✭✭✭

I did also lost scan submit quota because of scan upload errors.

But I am guessing that NIA does not have any practical, technical or even theoretical way anymore to figure out how much upload quata was lost for each individual agents because of scan upload errors in client app.

One and maybe the only way to compensate this may be just to give extra 200 submit quata for everyone who has been done scan previously.

Somebody may say that this is unfair because someone has lost over 100 quata and someone only a few or none. But I think it may be just plain impossible for NIA to figure out anymore exactly how many submits each agent may have lost.

• Hello everyone!

Does anyone know why I got this Error message? Yesterday I scanned sort of 20 portals. Once I was home uploading almost the half of them I got the message. Unfortunately I cannot go forward due to this error.

What do you suggest me to do?

Translation: "Error uploading portal scan"

When I get that error... which is nearly every time I try to upload later with Wifi, I just try again. I think it relates to actual network errors during upload.

I suspect it can cause loss of credit/quota, but the last time I tried a wifi upload later, and got the error, I did not lose the quota/scan.

Mostly I use 'Upload Now'. This seems more reliable, but when the scanner crashes, I think quota can be lost on partial uploads.

I've lost about 198 quota so far. I wish Niantic would fix it, so when a scan is lost, you get the quota back.

• Try to re-upload. It will work eventually but not sure how long it will take

• I notice the quota loss when I do upload now as well.

However, if I do upload later which I did on my first time out doing portal scans, it ended up taking 2 hours for 5 and still error out. Ended up working another day eventually in about 30 minutes.

Another observation is that my app self kills / error out and restarts if I scan and upload now for about 5 scans and want to continue. But if I pause and let all the scans to finish uploading then there is no issue.

I also have all those issues.

During upload now, sometimes it spontaneously exits. Usually just after the scan and 'upload now'. Sometimes during the scan itself.

I suspect the crash still consumes the quota, but does not give credit for the upload. Similar to when you get an error during scan. Each rescan attempt takes a quota permanently, but you only get credit for successful uploads.

If I do a bunch sometimes I notice that it didn't upload 'now'.. it queued them for later. Maybe it can only do 1 'now' and the next one is queued if the current one isnt finished? Regardless, after a doing a bunch of scan/upload now, I almost always have some waiting to be uploaded in the settings page. It appears more likely to fail if I do a very large (30 second?) scan.

My longest upload later was 4 hours. My 2nd longest was 90 min. Typical is an hour. And it often fails and needs restart. This is runnning at home in foreground on wifi. Using 'now' when in the field, is about 1 minute per upload. (faster)

My Moto G7 has 4 GB of memory, Android Pie, but if I take a photo, which I do alot when out for a hike, it causes ingress to restart. That may be causing some of my lost scans.

Ingress has always crashed alot, and likely always will. But portal scan uploads are particularly slow and fragile. The scan quota is taken immediately when you start a scan. But credit is only given if you successfully upload. I'm averaging 78% scans successful.

I would accept the loss of scans, if quota were given based on successful uploads, rather than attempted scans. But as is, each failure is a permanent loss of scan quota, so you can't redo the scans.

I'd probably also accept the loss of scans and quota, if quota were not the limiting factor. We only get about 15 per day. Which is easy. I always use up my quota, and then I'm back to waiting on more quota. In these days of quarantine, I dont even go out to get exercises if I dont have some scan quota. More quota per day would be good. We're limited on Scout by Niantic, and this quota bug, not our enthusiasm to scan.

2.49.1 still has the issue. I got a:

Submission failed: Please try again.

I did a scan, and attempted upload now. Then went into a building, where signal and GPS were marginal. About 2 minutes later, my signal improved when I left the building, and I got the message, losing the scan.

Also I lost a scan due to user error - I didn't respond to upload now or later right away. It somehow went back to the previous menu... I assume it thought I pressed the back button or something?

If you do a scan and are about to abort and lose the scan, a prompt would be good - are you sure?