Once Ingress Prime was released, the team began refocusing on fixing bugs and server updates. However, the new server still appeared to be roughly a year away from completion...
Considering that Ingress Prime was "fully" released in September 2019, if the abovementioned deadline of one year was met, we might've been playing on the new servers for a few months this moment.
On the other hand, we would not have (most of) the features which were added since then:
- Battle beacons
- Portal scanning
- Kinetic capsules (though the already existing functionality in Pogo would allow them to be implemented way faster)
- (was there anything else?)
And at the same time, things we could get right away from new servers, hypothetically, are:
- unique hack and capture display - one of the most requested features of this time!
- adventure sync
- faster, more stable server response to your actions, in solo play as well as in big events such as anomalies and first saturdays: lightning fast reso deploy, linking, burster explosions.
- lifting of server performance restrictions for huge link stars (beyond ~8400 links)
- removal of possibility for crossed links - with all its cons (for field arts) and pros (for day to day gameplay)
- probably the app with fewer bugs and some client-side only features (no new features to add would mean more time to fix bugs in the app - like the annoying COMM bug, crashes, and so on, and add teh 60 FPS mode!)
Unfortunately there's no option to add a poll in there so this is my question to you:
Would you sacrifice all features from list 1 for playing on new servers right now (and probably since a few months ago)?
I've never taken part i any events as covid was about when I started. So I've heard about events that happened before but cant be done now. So I figured it might be a fun thing to do to suggest some ideas for events that can be done within covid guidelines
My idea is to have each agent recieve random portal pictures within a set distance, they then need to send their drone to those portals, either using their own knowledge, or asking other agents knowledge (gets some teamwork in). Rewards can be increased from hacks and glyph hacks by double one time when you find the portals. The caveat of course is that the drone had to start on the agent and cant return (not including being on a portal that gest destroyed) to the agent, so needs the agent to pay attention to time the drone has. Its probably not that much fun an event but its a small one that could be entertaining